Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1
3932822

2002 s80: timing..crank mark found..pulling..pulley

Customer Question

Can't get my 2002 s80 back in timing. crank mark found after pulling balance wheel and serpentine belt pulley on crank. I think that's the one that lines up with the block mark right. and the two on the cams. Am I missing something. do I need the rest something to correct the problem because I tried a few times and the computer is protecting the car?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Anthony replied 2 years ago.
Hello! Welcome to justanswer!

This is how the marks line up... Do you have it this way?

CLICK HERE FOR TIMING MARKS PICTURE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't see the 2 slight groves in the crank timing gear and on the cams I had both pointing up.now both cams have about a 1/2 play I think this is what they call vvt. Do I set those off a counter clock motion on the crank for that there's no play off the start?
Expert:  Anthony replied 2 years ago.
Is the belt aligned up like the picture?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no,I will do that tommorow
Expert:  Anthony replied 2 years ago.
Ok...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hey Anthony did as the picture showed, the problem I am having is that I'm guessing on the marks because people before me just made marks and put the belt back.I can't real tell which are the factory marks. Now the dash is reading 025. Whats that. I is there another way to set the cams. The crank is on tdc for sure.Thx
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Volvo dealership technician. I am going to try to help you with your question. Anthony has opted out. What were you originally doing? Just a timing belt? And you have the crank lined up properly but not the cams?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Was installing new cam seals, had a oil leak through them.Didn't think much on the marks.I did see them on the back side of the cam gears and asumed that the crank was on tdc. but when I was putting everthing back.I alwas line my marks up and never just mark them were I start just incase they are off I can fix it. I had the car for just a week and to me a 2.9 with twin turbo felt a little off, off the line so I throught it was the timing anyway
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.

Did you use the special tool to hold the cams from the back when setting up the CVVT?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no I didn't. I just broke the bolts loose while they were on the time belt and then take the belt off before getting the rest of the bolt off.
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
Okay, well in order to properly time the engine and set up the CVVT, you need special tools to hold the cams and crank. Without them, you can't properly set up the CVVT. Here are the tools I am talking about.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
do I need to brake loose the cam cover to do this or does the tool only lock it on the right cam set
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
It bolts to the back of each cam and then the two halves of the tool bolt together to lock them in place. The slot on the back of each cam is not quite centered. The slot on the intake cam should be just above centerline and the slot on the exhaust cam should be just below. Then the tool connects and locks them together. Click here for the procedure for the 2001 T6. I think the 2002 is the same but I will double check at work to confirm. The CVVT is at the bottom of page 2 then onto page 3.
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.

If you are not close to having the slots on the backs of the cams lined up and the belt is off, you'll need to remove the cam cover and put the cams in again after pinning the crank with the tool in the kit, which goes into a hole behind the starter

Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience: One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1