Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

Volvo XC90 2.5T I got the Engine system service required message

I got the Engine system service required message today on my 2004 Volvo XC90 2.5Turbo, what does it mean and is it a costly repair?

Dulce in Miramar, Fl
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
How does it run?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was taking it in because it had a ticking noise and it was driving smooth and my service guy took a look at it 3weeks ago when I went in for maintenance and told me it was the exhaust manifold gasket and that it would cost $1,095. well I couldn't afford to pay that until pay day. Could the message be related to this problem?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Ya, if exhaust manifold gasket is leaking then the oxygen sensors will see that exahust mixture isnt correct and turn on check engine light...I wouldnt worry about it until your ready to pay for the $1100 gasket job then check it out...You can have diagnostic codes checked for free at parts store and they can verify its related to leak.