Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1

2004 v70: sunroof..a Security system needs servicing error message

2004 v70 sunroof not working and I have a "Security system needs servicing" error message. How do I fix the problem?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Are your remotes working? How about the reading lights by the mirror?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Reading lights working, remotes working
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Okay, the most common fault is the siren. You can test this yourself. Roll down the driver's side window. Close all doors, hood and hatch. Lock the car with the remote and wait about a minute. Then reach inside and open the driver's door. If the hazards flash but the alarm does not sound, you need a new siren. This may be related to the sunroof because the siren communicates with the upper electronic module, which also controls the sunroof. However, the sunroof issue may be separate, such as the sunroof control module. A dealership will be needed to check fault codes stored in the UEM to properly diagnose.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Locked doors with window open using remote. Opened door by inside handle and lights flashed but no siren sounded. Replace Siren control module?
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Yeah, the siren is certainly bad. This may solve all your problems but the sunroof could have something else going on. At least this way you know the siren is bad so you can start there. A new one is about $240 plus about an hour labor including configuration of the alarm system.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry to prolong this, but it sounds like I can't do this myself because the alarm needs to be re-configured?
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
You can replace the siren yourself and take it to be configured. Its located in the right front wheel well. You have to remove the fender liner to access it. It's held on with a shear screw, so you'll need to slot it with a dremel and use a screwdriver to remove the screw.