Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Experience:  15+YEARS WITH VOLVO AS THE MASTER VOLVO MECHANIC&Ase

2002 S80: srs ecu reflashed..passenger seats

Still chasing ghosts in the machine. I just had the SRS ecu reflashed on my 2002 S80 because it had a 00D3 code that was shutting down the fuel pump at the CEM. I thought the problem might be from one of the 5 or 6 half-used water and sports drink bottles that my kids had crammed under the driver and passenger seats. The car is running fine with no codes, but the horn occasionally beeps and the alarm is occasionally going off (full horn) with the car sitting in the driveway. The dealer wanted to replace the SRS module, but I'd like a 2nd opinion before spending $1400. Thanks

I have many years of Mercedes, Porsche, Volvo experience, but I don't have a VIDA system. I'm willing to pay a bonus for a solution that really fixes the problem and doesn't just send me back to the dealer.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Enes replied 3 years ago.

Enes :

Hello and welcome to Justanswer.com my name isXXXXX a Certified Volvo Car Expert Mechanic.I'm going to try to help you find the help you need.

Enes :

well i will need for now for current problem you have full volvo diagnostic codes

Enes :

you only have one code 00d3? what is in front the code ecm ,cem ,srs ?

Enes :

you have srs light now i assume staying on and you tired to flash software?

Customer:

There was a SRS code 00d3 and I had a warning on the dash that said SRS Airbag Service Needed Immediately. There were about 10 CEM codes (window lifts, mirror motors, etc) and the fuel pump relay wasn't getting a signal from the CEM. Flashing the software fixed the warning and the car drives fine. I just have a problem with the alarm. I know that the CEM stores alarm locations, but every trip back to the dealer is $100 to hook up VADIS and read out codes.

Enes : I will need the code for alarm due to it can be bad cem or bad siren module as most common problems but not to guess I will need all the codes you current have and we can see than more what to do.
Enes : Did Volvo dealer tell you what part you need for alarm ? Why. They recommend to change srs module ? I'm going offline tight now reply to me I will reply back tomorrow
Customer:

There was no code for the alarm. They recommended replacing the SRS module but there was no internal error code or anything to say it was bad, just that it was sending a faulty signal to the CEM. They couldn't tell me if the SRS module was getting a bad signal from a short or bad connector, or maybe just had a software error. I don't know if the siren problem is related or not. I'll dig out my list of the original error codes tomorrow morning. Thanks. I do have a indy shop nearby that can read codes and could possibly initiate communications to a new alarm module without VIDA, and that's something I can replace myself.

Customer:

Actually, what I have is the horn beeping while driving or coming on steady when the car is parked. I'm not sure if it's alarm module related or horn related. I don't remember ever hearing the siren on this car, so I was thinking the alarm used the car horn. Getting in the car and closing the door stops the horn, but I can't stop it with the unlock on the remote.

Customer:

The original codes before reflashing were CEM-6A01, 6A03, 6A04 (doors unlocked or locked) 3A01 Fuel Pump Signal Fault, 3A08 Relay Leak, DMTL heating signal fault, 3A05, Fuel Pump Signal (I had the fuel pump relay removed and a jumper in place so the car would run, so I'm not sure if these were accident code fuel shutoff related, or because the relay was removed) 6F71 Fuel Tank Filler Cover Switch.

Customer:

DDM - 002B Mirror Motor MC Sig Low, 0024 Mirror motor MX+ Sig Low

Customer:

SRS-003 Collision Signal too high, and there was a note by the tech that said "Short to supply voltage in crash output cable"

Customer:

That should have been SRS 00D3

Customer:

I just hooked the battery back up and the horn started honking, so I pulled the relay. The relay is good but getting a latching signal full-time.

Customer:

I also checked the alarm and all I get is lights flashing and no sound. Everything is working fine with no warnings with the horn relay out.

Customer:

Is it possible for the SWM to go bad and still have the turn signals work? My local indy shop has an AutoLogic diagnostic system for Volvo and can read codes and do any programming but CEM (anti-theft related modules are locked out) I'm trying to isolate the problem because

Customer:

my Volvo dealer just wants to start replacing expensive modules until the symptoms go away.

Enes : The fault codes indicate the cem problem that is main comunication hub module called cem they go bad a lot. Also Oder fault for SRs looks like if you something spilled on srs module you need try to clean that it can make poor connection at connectors but if something got inside you will need new Srs module now dealer is little right about changing modules until is fixed problem is your car runs on can comunication one module effects all others. For right now it looks you have bad cem and bad srs module
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Experience: 15+YEARS WITH VOLVO AS THE MASTER VOLVO MECHANIC&Ase