Enes, VOLVO Master Technician

Volvo 850 Turbo Where is the ECU located on a 1995 Volvo 850

Where is the ECU located on a 1995 Volvo 850 Turbo? How difficult is it to change? My Volvo stalls while moving along at about 30 mph. I push accelarator to the floor and it stops and goes until finally it seems to realize I need to keep moving and then it acceraltes instantly. This has become worse and the mechanic gets no abnormal reads from the diagnostics. I have concluded it might be the ECU. Your thoughts?
Hello and welcome to my name isXXXXX a Certified Volvo Car Expert Mechanic.I'm going to try to help you find the help you need. What error codes do you get from ecu?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have no idea. The last certified mechanic who looked at the car 3 weeks and test drove it simply said he could not conclude what was going on because there were no error codes.

He assumed that the Turbo could possibly be going out. I have read other posts that suggest that the ECU may be my problem.

I just need to know where it is located on my car and I will start there.
Ecu on volvo 850 don't fail a lot plus the ecu cost $1300 i recommend to run advanced volvo scanner dealer scanner and it will run full diagnostic if ecu is bad or not you need to know that for sure not guess most shops don't have good scanner so they guess what I recommend if you have Volvo dealer near you go there run diagnostic with Volvo scanner and than cone back here to me with error codes and what they say and I will yell you how to change remove the part and where to buy it. And Save you some money
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a replacement already. My question still is where is the location on the vehicle.
Ecu is located on right side in black box under the hood next to coolant botlle big black plastic cover remove the cover and than you will see modules match the module you with one in box and replace it
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Perfect. Found it. Thanks for the information. If this does not work, I will give the dealer a call and go from there.

I'll let you know how it goes. I may need to reach out to you again.

Ok just reply here when you need me .
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That solved the problem just as I suspected. The check engine light which no one seemed to figure out how to stop coding is now off. This was the first sign of good news. Plus, I have test driven 10 miles pushing the engine really hard, and I have had no more problems. Prior to this part replacement, this would not have been possible.

Thanks for your help. I got the part for under $100 new. So, I am a happy dude right now!!
I'm glad you are happy and that your car runs that is good news .