Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1
3932822

2000 Volvo S80: the engine system service required message

How do I get rid of the "engine system service required" message on my 2000 Volvo S80?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.

Hello! Welcome to justanswer!

Try the procedure in the picture below. If it wont reset then a scan tool is needed to do the reset. The procedure below should work.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The info you sent was for 2001 and 2002. My S80 is a 2000. Which procedure shall I use?
Thank you.
Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.

Try the 2001 procedure. Let me know...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK I'll go try the 2001 procedure.
What's VADIS vehicle communication?
Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.
That refers to a scan tool that you don't have. See if the manual procedure works. It may take a few tries to get it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried both procedures and in neither one could I get the text message to flash when I pushed in the tiny trip odometer button. So the message is still there.
Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.
Is the check engine light on as well as the message?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, the check engine light stays on in ignition position number two along with a little red oil container symbol with the text message.
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
The engine system service required message is not the same as the service reminder indicator. The procedure above is for resetting the service reminder indicator. The warning message you have indicates a fault code is stored in the ECM. You will need to have to codes read to determine the fault.
Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience: One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1