Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1
3932822

Dash board instruments keep going off and on, clock..000 miles

dash board instruments keep going off and on, clock is also running crazy, 2003 ax90
99,000 miles
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

Andy :

Hello

Andy :

This is most commonly caused by a faulty Driver Information Module (DIM), which is the instrument cluster

Andy :

A new one is about $1200 plus labor, but there is another option

Customer:

does this need to go to a dealer for repair and what cost should I expect to pay to have the problem corrected

Andy :

Click Here for information on having your DIM rebuilt

Andy :

If you chose to have it replaced with a new one, yes, it will be a dealer only repair as the new one needs to be programmed to your car and only they can download the software for it

Customer:

Is there any problem driving the car

Andy :

But that link above allows you to send your own DIM out to be rebuilt for about $400

Andy :

Driveability wise, no. However, the DIM is part of a network of computers that communicate with eachother. One of the other computers is the SRS control unit for your airbags

Andy :

So there is a chance that the airbags won't function properly if needed

Andy :

It won't cause the car to die out though

Customer:

How do I get the dim out f and back into the car

Andy :

There are two torx-25 screws that hold the bezel around the DIM to the dash. Then the bezel pries out and there are four more T25 screws holding the DIM in place. I think I have some pictures somewhere, one moment

Customer:

not sure if you got this question - how do I get it out and back into the car

Andy :

I did and I replied:

Andy :

Did the pictures come through?

Andy :

Are you able to read this?

Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience: One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.
It appears that there was a problem with the chat. Did you get my reply with pictures detailing removal?