Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1
3932822

Volvo S40 1.9 T I replaced a New Camshaft Position Sensor

Customer Question

I replaced a New Camshaft Position Sensor to my car 2001 Volvo S40 a week ago, when I was getting Check Engine light with error Code P0015. after week today again I am getting Check Engine light with error code P0015 Camshaft Position Senor. why I am getting, can you suggest me Please.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.
How many miles are on the car? What condition is the oil in? How often is the oil changed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Millege is 115617, and I got used car recently 20 days back, When I purchase, it has already this problem P0015 and I replaced it with new, and after a week I am getting the same problem, and also I recently changed the engine oil.
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.
Okay well that code does not necessarily mean the camshaft position sensor is bad. In fact, it's rarely caused by a camshaft position sensor. The car uses a system called Continuously Variable Valve Timing which uses oil pressure to change cam timing based on engine load. That is why clean and full oil is the first check. When the oil sludges up, it can clog up the small passages the CVVT system uses. The next step is the camshaft reset valve, which is on top of the head right behind the camshaft pulley. There is a screen in the gasket that acts as a filter. You can try to clean the valve with carb cleaner and install a new gasket. However, most of the time it needs to be replaced. If the code returns, you have a problem with the CVVT hub, which is driven by the timing belt on the end of the camshaft. The timing belt is due at 105,000 miles so if it hasn't been replaced yet, you'll want to get that done at the same time. This is not a do it Yourself job as special tools are required to hold the cams in the proper position while installing the CVVT hub.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience: One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
how much is my total cost?
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

It depends on what winds up fixing it. Replacing the reset valve will cost about $155 plus labor (only .5 hour labor). If its the hub, it will run about $380 for the parts (including the timing belt, timing belt idler and tensioner) plus about 5.5 hours labor.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Where do I need to buy parts?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What is exact Part terms and which online site is better?
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

Click here for the camshaft reset valve. This is from FCPGroton.com. I recommend them often and have personally used them

A lot of people like IPDUsa.com as well, but I have not personally dealt with them and I can't find a listing for any of these parts on there.

I don't see an aftermarket listing for the CVVT hub or the gasket, those are likely dealer only items.