Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1

Volvo S60 Key will not turn in the ignition

Customer Question

Key will not turn in the ignition
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

Andy :

Hello

Andy :

Will it turn at all? Most of the time the problem is that the key won't go past position one

Andy :

The problem is caused by a binding column lock, which is the mechanical portion of your ignition switch

Andy :

It is very common unfortunately

Andy :

It will need to be replaced. A new one costs about $260 plus 1.5 hours labor and will need to be ordered from the dealership, as it comes ordered for your existing keys.

Andy :

I am going to change this from chat to Q&A mode because email notification for chat is currently not working. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience: One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Andy, we found your respones to the same question from 11 days ago and removed everything and turned the ignition with the screwdriver, the warning lights and message board comes on, but it still will not start. what's next?
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.
Is the key in the ignition when you do that?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes in positon 1
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Key is in ignition position one. what do we do next?

Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.
Just to recap: the shift lock cable is disconnected, shifter in park, ignition switch removed from column lock but connected electrically, key in ignition and turning the ignition switch to the third position does not crank the engine?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The key does not go to 3rd position, used screwdriver to turn switch to 3rd position

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it is not starting when scredriver is in 3rd position. key will not turn at all

Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.
So when you turn the screwdriver to third position in the ignition switch, does it try to start (crank)? Do any messages come up?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no crank. typical messages come up, lights come on, but that's it. no crank.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
can you respond please?
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry for the delay but I help on this website in my spare time. Does "Start Prevented Try Again" come up? Do you have a test light?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no, nothing like that.
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.
Okay you will need to check for power at the signal wire to the starter. There is a single small wire attached to the starter, I think it is red and green. With someone holding the ignition switch in the start position, check for voltage at that wire. Also, you can jump 12v directly to the terminal that wire connects to to see if the starter will crank.