Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Experience:  15+YEARS WITH VOLVO AS THE MASTER VOLVO MECHANIC&Ase

1998 Volvo V70: station wagon..Turbocharged Has oil leak

1998 Volvo V70 station wagon. Front wheel drive. Turbocharged

Has oil leak. Leaks only when engine is running and pressured up.

Have traced oil leak back to driver side (left side looking forward) of the engine. But have not located the exact leak location. Quite abit of conjestion under the hood and around the engine. Not much room to move around.

Took out air filter housing to gain some access. On left side of engine, drivers side, tucked below and behind waterhoses going to turbocharger (I think), there is a black metal bracket, round on the bottom (like a 2 inch or so diameter wheel, with a large bolt (maybe half inch diameter or so?) in the middle of the round portion of the bracket and the bolt screwed into the engine. Not sure what the black metal bracket is for. The bolt is not loose as I tried to tighten it. The oil leak drips off the bottom of the black bracket, so the oil leak is originating above and behind the black metal bracket. I can't see any fresh oil leak higher up. I used my inspection mirror located on a long telescoping wand, to try and see where the leak is coming from but can't get it positioned to see any specific leak location behind the black support bracket.

Haynes Manual did not help me. One mechanic said it might be an oil line connected somehow to the turbocharger.

Any guidance welcome. Will probably take to a Volvo specialist but would like to have an idea what the problem is to be a better informed consumer. I don't mind doing diy, but I'm not that familiar with turbocharged front wheel drive Volvos.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Enes replied 3 years ago.
Well If you can take few pictures where you see the oil leak and send to me what you see that will help
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Enes, I have prepared Word as well as pdf copy of engine pictures and editorial. Can't attach to Just Answer browser (file either too large or won't take Word or pdf files). Please advise how I can send the file to you. Larry Killion

Expert:  Enes replied 3 years ago.
Go to mediafire.com attach files upload send me the links when it gives you there. Use free option.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've used free option. Account log in is XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX Password XXXXX XXXXX

File is Volvo.pdf

Expert:  Enes replied 3 years ago.
Copy and paste me the web link. You did not send me anything I don't Need email web pages blocks it here you need to find there will option to copy the web link where is uploaded and you just send me the web link there will be options. You just need to find it all it take after you find copy and paste web link to me use the account without email is best
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

http://www.mediafire.com/

This is the weblink in my browser and it shows my pdf file.

My account is XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX and password XXXXX XXXXX

email log in in word is "112358"(then the "@" sign) followed by "comcast.net"

Here is another weblink: http://www.mediafire.com/myfiles.php?r=gjnme

Expert:  Enes replied 3 years ago.

upload files without using email just click on green sign this what i see when you send me this web page blocks emails you cant use or give me email just web link go back to mediafire click on green sign upload and follow the steps do not make account here is what you send and you see how is bocked

http://www.mediafire.com/

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I hope this works this time. When I open the below I do get my pdf file. Volvo pdf

Larry

http://www.mediafire.com/?g6mtam52r9bg1rt

Expert:  Enes replied 3 years ago.
Good pictures so long the oil in not leaking from top down than area of oil leak looks like headgasket half of the engine needs to coMe a part
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Enes,

Thx. Some more questions.

There is no white (coolant) or black (oil) smoke in the exhaust (I understand exhaust smoke is not that uncommon if a head gasket leak); there is no oil in the coolant reservoir (often times a head gasket leak caues oil to leak into the coolant); the oil filler cap and valve cover hole in which the cap goes is free of water and no brown sludgy material (and such sludge often present if coolant water from a head gasket leak has leaked into the engine). There is a combustion leak detection kit that sniffs the vapor space in the radiator or coolant system that can determine if exhaust gases from a head gasket leak is leaking into the coolant system.

Questions: Should I use the leak detection test and will it confirm your indication that the problem could be a head gasket? Why aren't common head gasket leak symptoms (smoke in exhaust, sludge in oil cap, oil or brown sludge in coolant) present with this leak if the problem is a head gasket?

As you know, in the area where I pointed out in the pictures where the leak is generally located there is about a 2 1/2 inch diameter aluminum looking disc that is boltted into the engine with two star bolts and the disc located directly above the wet leaking area (leak could be eminating behind this disc?). Not exactly sure what this idisc is for (end of the overhead cam area?) but could this metal disc have a seal associated with it and it might be leaking oil? And what is this metal disc function?

Other than head gasket, are there any other oil related items located in the area described that might also be the source of the oil leak?

Thx

Expert:  Enes replied 3 years ago.
if you don't have leak from camshaft seals than you leak is from headgaskets im looking thru email so that is my best guess but you don't need to have smoke or oil in coolant for headgaskets to be bad you have external leak from headgaskets, what you can do buy lot brake cleaner and clean the area from oil very good and than again retest the area than when you clean and let the car run you can record small video to me and show me from where it start to leak and i will recheck again if is cam shaft seals or headgasekt but that is so far i can see from pictures.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ENES

Thx for your patience.

I purchased a Combustion Leak Detection Kit-CLDK from NAPA auto (sucks radiator vapor/gases thru blue liquid if it turns yellow, indication of blown head gasket and exhaust gases entering coolant system). I ran the test 3 times with engine hot so thermostat is open and the liquid remained blue (indication of no leak or bad head gasket). I checked the test liquid by sucking in tail exhaust gas and instant yellow. So the CLDK is working and indicated 'maybe' not the head gasket. I also connected my DynoScan computer OBDII tester and ran an OBD diagonistic test and no fault codes were displayed. I plan to clean the area as you described with solvent and try and better define the leak. I'll get back to you. Still interested in what that aluminum disc is on the side of the engine above the possible leak area. Could there be a seal on that disc that is leaking? I'll also pull the spark plug on the end of the engine near the leak area to see if it fouled with oil gunk as a back up check. I'm just a shade tree mechanic with a non-mechanic day job trying to help my son out.

Expert:  Enes replied 3 years ago.
I need to see. What disc you talking about I need better pictures to see that part use some light so I can see what disc you talking about .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ENES,

In the pictures I sent you I pointed out an aluminum disc above my finger in the photo. The disc is the sensor unit for the end of the cam that sends a signal to the ECU regarding timing, etc. (As earlier indicated, I'm not a Volvo repair specialist, but did do some research, question asking, etc, and curious what else could be leaking oil in the 5 inch diameter area isolated for the leak.). I talked with local Volvo service house and they advised often time the seal behind the sensor wears out and leaks (and rarely a failed head gasket issue as you earlier indicated might be the issue). I purchased the seal ($21) and installed and the leak is fixed. (Installation involved removing two star bolts to release the sensor unit. Then behind that one 10 mm bolt to take off to release the flange and behind that the seal. The leak was occuring behind the disc and flange area and could not be direclty seen unless the control unit was removed). I knew immediately it was the seal because when I took the old one out it just fell out and was not sealing. Let me know how you wish for me to settle up with you. While I'm willing to pay your fee, I feel like I was the one who diagnosed and fixed the problem and in all candour the fee not fully earned.

Thx

Expert:  Enes replied 3 years ago.

I did say if you don't have leak from camshaft seals than is headgasket oil leak but what you have fixed that was cam shaft seal it was hard for you to know where it leaks and you have think I dont see the car I go from what you tell me and pictures i wish was able to see more and better pictures im sorry for that ,but that is good you have that fixed this what I send you before.

Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Experience: 15+YEARS WITH VOLVO AS THE MASTER VOLVO MECHANIC&Ase