Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

Car will not turn over. Error message Steering Wheel Lock any help?

Car will not turn over. Error message "Steering Wheel Lock" any help?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Here's the issue with your car.The problem you describe is indicative of a faulty ISM (Ignition Switch Module).This is the module you insert the ignition transponder ("key") into on the console to start the vehicle.It is in actuality a control module that serves several functions: It senses the key transponder signal and allows the vehicle to crank and start providing the signal is correct , It unlocks the steering column lock during startup and driving (your error code) and it supplies keyed and accessory voltage feed to dash,instrumentation and interior components;as well as all other ECM and vehicle power signals.When these fail(quite frequently I might add)you get the steering column failure message as well as dash illumination and instrument failure.This is very common and needs to befuddled next . Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses Greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So what should I do about this? I only have on key for this car.
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
You will need to have the ignition switch module replaced to fix this issue. Sometimes a low charged vehicle battery will cause this. Make sure it's fully charged. Also try disconnecting the battery and see if it resets . If not the ignition switch module will need to be replaced. Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.