AMEDEE
AMEDEE, ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Experience:  VOLVO TECHNICIAN ASE MASTER TECH WITH ADVANCED LEVEL PERFORMANCE

Losing power during acceleration? have to shift to get some power.

losing power during acceleration? have to shift to get some power.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer!
You could have a bad mass air flow sensor. Or the snorkel from the mass air flow sensor to the throttle body could be ripped. Both are very common and can cause you vehicle to loose power along with many other drive ability issues. First look for cracks or rips or anywhere air can enter the engine that is not accounted for by the mass air flow sensor. Next comes the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor. This is a very important sensor input to the computer. It uses a hot wire sensing element to measure the amount of air entering the engine. The MAF sensor then outputs an analog voltage signal to the PCM proportional to the intake air mass. The PCM calculates the required fuel injector pulse width in order to provide the desired air/fuel ratio. If the sensor is bad than this air/fuel ratio will be off causing severe performance issues. In extreme cases, I have seen these two problems cause a no start condition. This input can also be used in determining transmission Electronic Pressure Control, shift and torque converter clutch scheduling. The check engine light may even pop on if the sensor is bad, the snorkel is ripped or a tube has fallen off. This will result in a lean condition.

Here is some info about your mass air flow sensor from alldata.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

PURPOSE AND LOCATION
The air mass meter (located in engine compartment behind air filter) sends a signal (current) to the fuel injection ECU. The ECU can now calculate the air mass entering the engine and adjust fuel injection duration as needed.
The air mass meter is of the hot-wire sensor type. Factors such as ambient temperature, humidity and pressure (altitude) are taken into consideration with this type of air meter.

OPERATION
The measurement sensor (inside the meter housing) consists of a wire (hot-wire) which is maintained at 215°F (100°C) higher than the air entering the engine. As the air mass passes over the hot-wire, wire resistance decreases and more current is required to maintain the correct temperature. The amount of current required is used to calculate the air mass entering the engine.
When the engine is turned off, any dirt on the wire is burned off electrically by a one second burn off cycle that heats the wire to 1800°F (1000°C). Any dirt remaining on the hot-wire can cause it to sent a faulty signal to the ECU.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So, you are saying this will cause my car to loose power and not accelerate properly?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
YES! It is very possible!

Just be sure that the engine is not misfiring (bad tune up parts or low compression) and that the valve timing is good and that the exhaust is not plugged up.
AMEDEE, ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Experience: VOLVO TECHNICIAN ASE MASTER TECH WITH ADVANCED LEVEL PERFORMANCE