Brian
Brian, Mechanic
Experience:  20yrs working on volvo/saab
17530802

Volvo: S70..an electronic throttle body..non-turbo

Customer Question

I need to find out exactly where the ETS is located on my S70 volvo and how to clean, and remove an electronic throttle body and how to install a new one. My volvo is non-turbo.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Brian replied 6 years ago.

Brian :

welcome, Not sure what you mean by ets this is a large system. If you ets light is on then it is probably the abs control module if this is the part you are refering to. cleaning this will not help it needs to be replaced. It is located below the brake master cylinder and is attached to the abs pump. it is a square black box that is held in by 4 e-torx screws. the electronic throttle body needs a download from volvo so even if you did replace it the car wouldnt start. I can send you directions to replace it if you wish. Keep in mind there are some companys that will sell these throttle bodys with preloaded software I am yet to see any of these work.

Customer:

I am talking about the electronic throttle body not the ABS module.

Customer:

I wanted to find out where it was located so it can be removed and a new electronic throttle installed. Software has already been downloaded twice and it did not work.

Brian :

i was not refering to software update but download which needs to be preformed when new throttle body is installed and can only be done by volvo dealer. The electronic throttle is located under the intake manifold you will need to remove the intake manifold to replace the throttle.

Customer:

Instructions on how to re-move the elctronic throttle body, clean it, and and re-install the it.

Brian :

I will get those and send them to you

Brian :

use carb cleaner and tooth brush seem to work best. also volvo warrantees the throttle for 10 years or 200,000 miles and by doing this yourself you could void the warrantee just for your info.