Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Experience:  15+YEARS WITH VOLVO AS THE MASTER VOLVO MECHANIC&Ase
20168386

HOW DO YOU REMOVE AIRBAG OF STEERING WHEEL ON A VOLVO XC90?

Customer Question

hOW DO YOU REMOVE AIRBAG OF STEERING WHEEL ON A VOLVO XC90?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Enes replied 3 years ago.
here is the info attached click here
Expert:  Enes replied 3 years ago.
Airbag driver's side (SRS), replacing
Note! The illustrations in this service information are used for different model years and/or models. Some variation may occur. However, the essential information in the illustrations is always correct.
Note! For vehicles MY -2004 see: .
Preparatory work
Removing the battery lead and important information
Ignition off. Disconnect the battery negative cable. See: . Warning! For information about the handling and storage of pyrotechnical SRS components, see: Handling non-deployed SRS-components . Note! Replace the decals for the safety equipment. See: Decals for safety equipment (North America) or: Decals for safety equipment (rest of the world). Warning! Under no circumstances use an ohmmeter or other live measuring instrument to take readings on a disconnected, non-deployed pyrotechnical SRS component. There is a risk of the seat belt tensioner deploying. Warning! Pyrotechnical SRS components must never be taken apart, repaired or transferred to another vehicle.
Removal
Removing driver's airbag (SRS)
Ignition in position II. Turn the steering wheel a ¼ turn so that the two holes on the rear of the steering wheel are accessible.
Insert a screwdriver in the holes on the reverse of the steering wheel. The screwdriver must be at a right-angle to the rear surface of the steering wheel. Place the screwdriver point against the top of the spring clip as illustrated. Pry the screwdriver up against the upper edge of the hole (2) so that the point of the screwdriver presses down the catch (1) until the catch releases. Turn the steering wheel a ½ turn in the opposite direction. Repeat the process on the other side. Turn the steering wheel to the neutral position. Fold out the airbag.
Disconnect the 2 connectors (2) (there may be more or less) for the SRS ignition cables for the airbag. Remove the airbag.