Mike, volvo Tech
Mike, volvo Tech, Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs volvo technician, Ase A1-A8, L1, A/C certified

2007 Volvo xc90 t6: V6..the front suspension on this vehicle..flaw

2007 Volvo XC90 AT6 3.2 V6. What is the real issue with the front suspension on this vehicle? Is it a major design flaw? Volvo has replaced many front end suspension parts. Volvo cannot align the car within spec. Vehicle is now back to making an intermittent clunking noise during slow speed turns. Please advise.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Mike, volvo Tech replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Mike, volvo Tech :

I would start with asking them if they have refered to RTJ-17498 which has to do with a knock noise from the rear bushing on the front control arm and involves replacing the bushing and bolt with revised parts.

Mike, volvo Tech :

If this has been done I would suggest if the vehicle is still under warranty I would suggest contacting volvo north america and ask them to get a Field technical specialist involved to get the situation fixed.

Customer:

Mike,

Customer:

I cannot see specifically on the repair tickets if they have performed RTJ-17498. What has been done is the following:

Customer:

At 19 K miles, 3.31.09 noticed clunking noise from front end. Volvo inspects subframe bolts per Tech Net 61-10 and R and R rear control arm bolts L and R. Also found that Pass side tie rod end had excessive play. R and R Right outer tie rod. 4 wheel alignment performed. Next 27K miles 9.17.09 Car pulling to right, another 4 wheel alignment. Next 29K miles, 11.4.09 Still have suspension noise. Volvo replaces front right shock and control arm and adjusted subframe and upper spring seat to attain the correct value for right front caster. Although right front caster is still slightly out of spec. As RTJ-17498 is required for this vehicle in years 2006 - 2009 it suggests to me that there is a major design flaw otherwise it would not show up in years 2007 - 2009. Is this problem not able to be 100% eliminated? Have the repairs been band aids on a major problem? Is the safety of this vehicle being compromised? I am 5K miles until the end of my warranty. What would you do if this was your vehicle?

Mike, volvo Tech :

well without knowing exactly what is making the noise I cant say safety is comprimised most likley not though. Doesnt sound like the replaced the rear bushing on the front control arm. At this point I would be calling volvo north america to get them involved and get this taken care of, while under warranty.

Mike, volvo Tech :

have you thought about another dealer or possibly a independent volvo specialist to look at the car? what I read from t the RTJ is that the clearance between the bolt and the inner sleeve of the bushing allow the bushing move causing noise and replacing both the bolt and bushing tightens the clearance to not allow the movement

Customer:

Does performing RTJ-17498 and 99 solve the suspension problems 100% on this vehicle? If this will be an ongoing problem I want to trade the vehicle in for a Volvo sedan. I have taken care of this vehicle and have never abused it. After warranty I have no option but to continue to pay for ongoing repeated repairs with the same suspension issue(s).

Customer:

I will get Volvo NA involved next week.

Customer:

Did they redesign this vehicle in 2010?

Mike, volvo Tech :

no pretty much still the same

Customer:

Would Volvo extend the warranty to just the suspension IF RTJ 98 and 99 does not solve the problem? Last question, in your opinion does RTJ 98 and 99 solve the problem 100%? Yes or no?

Mike, volvo Tech :

I'm sure volvo will not extended the warranty unless the problem is not solved within the warranty period, but has been an on going complaint during the warranty period. once the complaint is fixed that will be it. as far as the RTJ's if this is the problem it usually fixes the issue. I would also look at finding a volvo expert outside the dealer network to look at the vehicle prior to warranty ending to see what they find

Mike, volvo Tech, Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs volvo technician, Ase A1-A8, L1, A/C certified