Your Auto Inspector
Your Auto Inspector, ASE Certified Service Manager
Experience:  ASE Parts and Service Certified

My Service shop wants to do Transmission Flush procedure vs.

My Service shop wants to do Transmission Flush procedure vs. Drain and Replace which I had done at 90,000 miles and now I am 115,000 on my 2001 S80. The Flush makes more sense but wanted a Volvo mechanics perspective.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Your Auto Inspector replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Your Auto Inspector :

Thanks for using Just Answer, I will be glad to assist you.

Your Auto Inspector :

Have you had the transmission fluid serviced at proper intervals in the past??

Your Auto Inspector :

Flushing the transmission is a good idea because it replaces 100% of the fluid. However, if you have not been replacing the fluid at the correct intervals, you can do more harm than good by flushing the system.

Customer :

Yes - I bought it with 80K on it and changed the fluid at 90K and now am at 115K

Customer :

The shop said that at the 90K the fluid looked good but sinceI did not know when it was changed last I had them do a drain and replace.

Customer :

The Flush makes more sense to me

Customer :

But on my Honda Odyssey they do not recommend it

Your Auto Inspector :

The only problem with flushing the transmission is that friction material from inside the transmission builds on the inside of it. When you flush the transmission, the additives in the transmission fluid break down that buildup. If there is excessive buildup (i.e. fluid has not been regularly serviced) then it could break loose and cause internal transmission issues.

Your Auto Inspector :

Honda only recommends drain and fill of transmission fluid, however I have flushed several Honda transmissions with absolutely no problems. I believe that Honda is afraid of putting any additional stress on the transmission, as well as the major transmission problems that Honda has had with the Odyssey. Several year models of the Odyssey had warranty extensions due to transmission issues.

Customer :

So have I been regular enough at 25K since the last one and at 90K the mechanic did it because I insisted as the fluid was not dirty at all

Your Auto Inspector :

As long as the fluid has been serviced at the proper intervals, flushing the transmission would be better. With a flush you are replacing 100% of the fluid. With a drain and fill you can only replace around 33-40% of the total capacity of the transmission.

Experience: ASE Parts and Service Certified