Tony
Tony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+Years Experience,Import & Domestic ASE Certified Technician,Kia Certified Master Technician
32162675

2005 Volvo: s60r 2.5 Liter engine vin..oil pan with a pin hole..Loses

2005 Volvo S60r 2.5 Liter engine Vin: YV1RH527852476994 I have heli-arced the oil pan with a pin hole, from a road impact. Loses 1 qt in 300 miles, now down below the add mark, again. Pan off, cleaned, back on, not wanting to start engine normally, too many, big oil lines need to be filled before turning ignition on. So, how to get engine starter to energize and oil pressure up, flowing good rate into pan, cooler, etc? I see fuses for ign coils, fuel pump, ecm, which I think would disable the engine starting until oil pressure is up correctly. What would you suggest to let me get oil pressure up and flowing before firing it?<br />Lastly, how do I seal the oil pan after bolting it back up?<br /><!--Session data-->
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Tony replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Tony :

HiCustomer, Thank you for using JustAnswer.

You are on the right track, I would pull the ign coil fuse and the fuel pump fuse. As for sealing the pan after its bolted up. The sealer should be applied brfore installing the pan

Tony :

are you still there?

Customer:

I am here now

Customer:

Sorry I missed you online.

Customer:

I need to know what kind of sealer? The gasket sealer that comes in a can and is applied with a small sponge? Because I did not see a gasket anywhere on the oil pan.

Tony :

It uses a liquid gasket applied with a roller.

Tony :

There is also a special tightening sequence for the pan.

Customer:

what type of gasket

Customer:

OK please tell me . Sorry my expert husband is not around right now ..

Customer:

he was a race car driver and build race engines

Customer:

brand of liquid gasket

Customer:

what is the tightening sequence please?

Tony :

Oil pan, replacing
Special tools:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />
Removal

Note: As the illustrations in this service information are used for different model years and/or models, some variation may occur. However, the essential information in the illustrations is always correct.

Preparation

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]136.11111111111111[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

Remove:

• the oil dipstick and pipe

• the splashguard under the engine.

Drain the engine oil and remove the oil filter.

Release the oil cooler from the pan. Hang up at the rear.

Remove the screw from the bracket for the fuel line.

Disconnect the connector for the oil level sensor.

Removing the oil pan
Slacken off all the screws holding the oil pan.

Remove all but four screws. It is recommended that the four screws in the corners of the pan are left in place.

Carefully tap the pan using a rubber mallet until the joint and its liquid gasket releases.

Remove the four remaining screws.

Remove the pan.

Installation

Note: For tightening torques, See Specifications. Cleaning

Clean the gasket surfaces on the oil pan and cylinder block. Use a razor blade or a gasket scraper and gasket solvent P/N 1161 440.

Warning: Use a fume hood or extractor when using gasket solvent.

Installing the oil pan

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]134.24657534246575[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

Apply liquid gasket 1161 059-9 to the oil pan. Use roller(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Install:

• new O-rings

• the Oil pan. Secure the Oil pan loosely using a few screws

• the remaining screws loosely.

Press the oil pan towards the transmission.

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]169.6969696969697[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

Tighten the screws (1), (2), (3) and (4). See Specifications. Tighten the screws (5). See Specifications.

Tighten all screws in the screwed oil pan joint.

Start at the transmission and continue forwards in pairs.

Install the screw for the bracket for the fuel line.

Connect the oil cooler to the pan. Use new O-rings. Reinstall the pipe on the sub-frame.

Install:

• a new oil filter

• the oil plug with a new gasket

• the oil dipstick and its pipe. Use a new O-ring.

Note: Check that the O-ring is correctly positioned.

Fill with engine oil. Run the engine to operating temperature.

Check for oil leaks from the oil pan or oil cooler.

Install the splashguard under the engine.

Check the oil level. Top up if required.

Customer:

OK hubby is here

Tony :

The last three pix i posted. was for the oil pan instalation

Tony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 30+Years Experience,Import & Domestic ASE Certified Technician,Kia Certified Master Technician