Brian, Mechanic
Experience:  20yrs working on volvo/saab

My 2004 Volvo S80 has been leaking power steering fluid regularly

My 2004 Volvo S80 has been leaking power steering fluid regularly over the past tow summers. Yes, it seems to be a warm weather problem that I have discussed repeatedly with my dealer. Last summer they tightened hose clamps and said it was fixed . This summer they replaced the reservoir and said it was fixed. Not. Now they tell me that the main pressure line from the steering rack to the pump has a crimp and a leak and want $480 to fix. I have read some of the posts and feel this may be an o ring problem beciase of the heat relation. I have no faith in my dealer and am very frustrated and light in the pockets after all of the so called fixes I have already paid for. Suggestions? I ma ready to throw in the towel on Volvo.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Brian replied 6 years ago.

You could be right about o-ring depending were the leak is coming from. The reservoir fix is common problem with the s80. I would have another mechanic look at it they should come to the same conclusion as the dealer if this is the problem. If you cant find a independent Volvo guy then I am sure a European mechanic can handle it.Weither you get it fixed or not a second opinion is a good idea. If you need further help let me know.