Enes, VOLVO Master Technician

My 2005 volvo xc90 will not let me shift into reverse

Customer Question

Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.
So, the gear stick will go into reverse but you just do not have any reverse function when the gear stick is in the reverse position?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, I was in Drive and needed to back up. With my foot on the brake, I attempted to shift into Reverse, but the gear stick would not let me shift past Neutral.

I tried gently rocking the gear stick, turning off the engine, both in Neutral and in Drive, shifting into the Manual Drive feature, cranking the steering wheel, anything I could think of.

Unfortunately I can't take my keys out of the ignition without it being in Park.

Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.
OK, do me a favor, check and see if your brake lights work.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes they do
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.
OK, I believe your problem is either in the shift linkage or you have a shift lock solenoid that has failed. You can try to pull up the small cover around the shifter assembly. Then take a flashlight and look down into the shifter linkage and see if you see anything physically binding it. Without looking at this car though I can't say for sure what you have going on I just have theorys. So I'll opt out and hopefully somebody will have another suggestion.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
would heat have anything to do with it? It's a hundred degrees here...thanks for your responses.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.
Heat shouldn't have anything to do with it..