Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1
3932822

How do i replace the power steering hose 99 s80

how do i replace the power steering hose 99 s80
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Which power steering hose? The suction hose, pressure line or return line?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
pressure line
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
So the line going from the pump to the rack, correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

Okay, I just wanted to make sure.

This really isn't a job I would advise attempting in your garage. You have to remove the subframe in order to route the new line. In order to remove the subframe, there is a Volvo special tool that holds the engine and transmission assembly in the car from above. Before removing the subframe, there is a ground cable on the driver's side front of the subframe, a clamp on the passenger front of the subframe holding the power steering line. The front, rear and side motor mounts need to be unbolted as well as the lower torque rod that connects the subframe to the transmission. The sway bar links need to be disconnected, either from the sway bar or the strut. The 5 bolts holding the rack to the subframe need to be removed. There is an exhaust support bracket that needs to be removed and an evaporative emissions line that runs between the subframe and the sway bar link that needs to be disconnected. Then the four 18mm bolts (and two 14mm bolts for each rear subframe bracket) can be removed to lower the subframe. Once the subframe is out, it is fairly simple to replace. You just need to disconnect it from the pump and the rack and carefully snake it out, noting how it was routed.

Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience: One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1