Brian
Brian, Mechanic
Experience:  20yrs working on volvo/saab

Star: my volvo starts right up and then dies it..fuel pump

my volvo starts right up and then dies it will allways star right up and then die i replaced the fuel pump and get the same results
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.

Hi and welcome. what model Volvo do you have? have you check all intake hoses and vacuums?

Thanks

Brian

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
850 turbo 97 2.4 yes i have it seems to have started a little wile ago when i would start up in the morning and backing up or turning hard now it just runs fine for about 10 seconds and then just dies
Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.

do you have any codes or is the check engine light on?

Thanks

Brian

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
0172 o302 0304 and random miss fire codes
Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.

has any parts been replaced?

Thanks

Brian

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
fuelpump
Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.

was the fuel filter replaced also?

Thanks

Brian

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no i punched a hole in it but it is doing the same thing it was doing before i evean replaced the pump
Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.

if your filter was clogged it wouldn't make a difference if you replaced the pump or not the filter comes after the pump.But if you feel the filter is not the issue then when were the ignition wires and cap and rotor replaced?

Thanks

Brian

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

17000 miles ago

Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.

how many miles does it have now and have you looked at these parts?

Thanks

Brian

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
178000 and no i havent looked however i had thehead gasket replaced around 6000 miles ago
Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.
If they are that new i don't think they would be issue but would check any way.will car idle or do you have to hold your foot on gas to keep it going?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it will idel for 10 seconds and just die i can rev it up and it will last longer but die anyway
Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.
have you tried disconnecting air flow sensor?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no i havnt i would not evan khow were to look
Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.

on the intake air hose you will see a sensor with a plug just before the the air box this is the air flow sensor. start up and disconnect if idle changes or the car continues to run this is your problem.

Thanks

brian

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
itried this and it was the same results
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
just waiting for next reply could it posably be o2 senser
Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.

sorry didn't here from you so I went offline. wouldn't be 02 sensor.. The car seems like it isn't getting enough fuel.I need you pull the plugs and describe what they look like.

Thanks

Brian

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks brian i had to take a bit of a break i will check on this is it possable that the throttle body is jambed
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i was on a forrum and a couple people believed it could be a build up of crud on the throttle body due to cam blow bye and to another note when i replaced my head gasket the side of my radiater started comming undone it got a little hot i had fixed with epoxy and seems to be alright i was just wondering if that could of caused somthing to happen this had happend a couple of weeks back however the car seemed to do allright
Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.

usually the throttle problems are to do with electronic throttle no manual like yours,i would check anyway you seem to have a unique problem. let me know.

Thanks

Brian

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks brian i will get to pullen plugs and looking at this in around an hour then i will get back to you if we can pull this off how can i give you more
Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.
ok let me know
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so any way i checked the plugs they were all right the throttle boddy was really messy i cleand that i then took off the mass air flow senser and the it fired right up and runs sounds fine i put it in gear and she dies so i went and bought a new maf air flow sencer and she does the same it sound like when i plug in the sencer she fludders then stalls what next it seams like it should be simple
Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.

try tapping the idle control valve silver cylinder thing that has 2 hoses going to it and a 3 prong plug at the top by the throttle you just cleaned.

Thanks

Brian

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
since i tapped on that it realy got worse it seams as though it mite be working i dont kn ow it vibrates
Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.
it should vibrate ,but the should be no change in idle, does it get better after you stop tapping it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it actualy seams as though she is back fireing a little now
Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.
is it idling or does it still die?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
crazy if i sit behind the wheel and a freind chokes it its alright if not its never the same
Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.
what is your friend doing to choke it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
puting his hand over the maf air flow tube or in take or what ever it is
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
puting his hand over the maf air flow tube or in take or what ever it is i realy think taping on that thing realy did something to it
Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.

this just means there is to much air which says theres not enough fuel which why you get that 172 code lean condition. You will need to check the fuel pressure since you have replaced the fuel filter and pump then you may have either a problem in the lines or the tank.

Thanks

Brian

Brian, Mechanic
Experience: 20yrs working on volvo/saab