Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

2000 Volvo S40: Turbo..V..the exhaust cam (Variable Valve Timing) only

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Volvo S40 Turbo. I need to have detailed information on how to replace the V V T and correctly set the valve timing. This car has a V V T on the exhaust cam (Variable Valve Timing) only. I have tried to purchase a shop/repair manual for this car, but have had no luck finding anything that containes this level of detail. Apparently the V V T had been worked on before I purchased the car. The engine started to knock on the top end. The knock was a result of a missing cam gear bolt and the other two bolts were not properly tightened. The cam gear is bolted to the V V T using the three bolts as described above. When I replaced the bolt and tightened the other two, the knock was gone. Unfortunately, the V V T is still leaking oil. I need to replace the V V T and need some detailed information on this procedure. Thanks in advance for your help!
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
Hi, my name isXXXXX will post the procedure below, but you will need a special tool to hold the camshafts,Tim
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience: 30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
Notes

Adjusting Or Replacing The Variable Valve Timing Unit

Special Tools:(NNN) NNN-NNNN(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />
NOTE:

• As the illustrations in this service information are used for different model years and/or models, some variation may occur. However, the essential information in the illustrations is always correct.
  • The crankshaft and camshafts must not be turned more than is stated in the method description.

If the shafts are turned in any other way the valves may be damaged.

Preparations
Prepare the car. See: Camshaft Gear/Sprocket\Service and Repair

Removing the variable valve timing unit

Install camshaft adjustment tool(NNN) NNN-NNNNat the rear of the camshafts.

Remove:

• the plug at the front edge of the variable valve timing unit (TORX 55)
  • the center screw in the variable valve timing unit (TORX 55).

Carefully pull out the timing gear pulley with the variable valve timing (VVT) unit. A small amount of oil may run out. Place paper underneath.

Removing the timing gear pulley

Remove:

• the screws for the timing gear pulley. Use counterhold(NNN) NNN-NNNN
  • the timing gear pulley
  • tool(NNN) NNN-NNNN
  • the screw holding the inner timing cover to the cylinder head.

Timing gear pulleys without variable valve timing units:

• Remove the timing gear pulley.
  • Remove tool(NNN) NNN-NNNN/li>

Secure the crankshaft position
Install the adjustment tool.

• Remove:
  • the front air baffle
  • the support between the cylinder block and the intake manifold
  • the mounting screws for the starter motor.
  • Place the starter motor to one side.
  • Remove the blind cover plug and cover washer.
  • Turn the crankshaft clockwise slightly to avoid the adjustment tool being in the wrong position.

• Install adjustment tool(NNN) NNN-NNNN Ensure that the adjustment tool bottoms out against the cylinder block.
  • Turn the crankshaft back counter-clockwise until it stops against the drift.

• Check that the marking on the crankshaft timing gear pulley corresponds with the marking on the oil pump.

Installing the variable valve timing unit

• Install the timing gear pulley using the center screw on the camshaft.
  • Ensure that the markings on the timing gear pulleys/upper timing cover correspond. Do not tighten.

Installing the timing gear pulley

Install:

• the upper timing cover
  • the timing gear pulley without variable valve timing on the camshaft. Use the two screws positioned so that the markings on the timing gear pulleys and upper timing cover correspond. Do not tighten.

Installing the timing belt

Install the timing belt on the timing gear pulleys.

NOTE: Adjust so that the screws in the timing gear pulley without variable valve timing do not reach the limit position in the oval holes.

Tension the timing belt

NOTE: This adjustment is to be made with a cold engine. Suitable temperature is approximately 20 degree C/67 degree F .

At higher temperatures (with the engine at operating temperature or a high outside temperature for example) the indicator is further to the right.

The above figure shows the position of the indicator at different engine temperatures.

• Hold the belt tensioner center screw secure. Turn the belt tensioner eccentric counter-clockwise until the tensioner indicator passes the marked position.
  • Then turn the eccentric back so that the indicator reaches the marked position in the center of the window
  • Hold the eccentric securely. Tighten the center screw. Tighten to 20 Nm .

Tightening the variable valve timing unit and timing gear pulley

• Tighten the center screw on the timing belt tensioner with variable valve timing. Tighten to 90 Nm .
  • Install the plug. Tighten to 35 Nm .
  • Install the third screw on the timing gear pulley without variable valve timing. Tighten to 20 Nm .
  • Remove the adjustment tools.

Check

• Press the belt to check that the indicator on the tensioner moves easily
  • Install the upper timing cover
  • Turn the crankshaft two turns. Check that the markings on the crankshaft and camshaft pulley correspond.

NOTE: Check that the indicator on the belt tensioner is within the marked area.

Finishing
Reset the car.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the quick reply. Is there any details that I need to know under the first section that is related to preparations or the install camshaft adjustment tool...? I could not access the associated links.

Preparations

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
Preparing the Vehicle [VVT]
Notes
Note! As the illustrations in this service information are used for different model years and/or models, some variation may occur. However, the essential information in the illustrations is always correct.
Note! Crankshaft and camshafts must not be turned more than is stated in the method description! If the shafts are turned in any other way, the valves may be damaged.

Preparations

Remove:

• the cable from the battery's negative terminal. First read Note when disconnecting and connecting the battery lead.
  • the inlet hose between air filter and throttle housing. Put it aside.

Remove:

• the brake servo's vacuum hose from its connection in the throttle housing. Loosen the hose by pressing down the plastic ring at the same time as the hose is pulled upwards. Move the hose aside.
  • the fuel line and cabling from its clips in the cylinder head's trailing edge.

Remove:

• the cable channel's screws.
  • camshaft's rear cover.
  • the camshaft position (CMP) sensor housing.
  • the trigger wheel.
  • right engine protection cover (only turbo).
  • the auxiliaries belt.

Removing timing gear covers

Remove:

Installing the lifting beam and the lifting hook

• Loosen the servo hose's plate bracket from the auxiliary unit's rotation guard.

• Place lift tool(NNN) NNN-NNNNslightly in front of the engine's front lifting eye. Use lift arm(NNN) NNN-NNNNand lift hook(NNN) NNN-NNNNto lift the engine a few mm at the leading edge.

Removing the right-hand engine mounting

Remove:

Position the engine according to the marking

• Remove the right front wheel.
  • Position the upper timing cover.
  • Turn the crankshaft until the markings on the crankshaft and camshaft gear match.
  • Turn another ¼ turns clockwise on the crankshaft and then back until the markings match. Markings are shown in figure. Remove the upper timing gear cover.

Removing the timing belt

• Slacken off the center screw for the belt tensioner slightly.
  • Hold and fixate the centre screw. Turn the tensioner's eccentric clockwise using a 6 mm Allen key to 10 o'clock.
  • Remove the timing belt from the camshaft gears.

Removing the timing gear pulley

• Timing gear pulleys with variable valve timing unit
  • Install camshaft adjustment tool(NNN) NNN-NNNNat the rear of the camshafts.

Timing gear pulleys with variable valve timing unit:

• Remove the plug at the front edge of the variable valve timing unit (TORX 55).
  • Remove the centre screw in the VVT-unit (TORX 55).
  • Carefully pull out the timing gear pulley with the variable valve timing (VVT) unit. A small amount of oil may run out. Place paper underneath.

• Remove the timing gear pulley's screws. Use counterhold(NNN) NNN-NNNN.
  • Remove timing gear pulley.
  • Remove tool(NNN) NNN-NNNN.
  • Remove the screw that holds the inner timing gear cover to the cylinder head.

Replacing the camshaft seal

• Carefully press in tool(NNN) NNN-NNNNbetween the sealing ring and the camshaft.
  • Carefully pry out the seal.

• Oil the new seal.
  • Install the new seal for the camshaft with VVT using drift(NNN) NNN-NNNN.
  • Install the new seal for the camshaft without VVT using drift(NNN) NNN-NNNN.
  • Install the screw holding the inner timing cover to the cylinder head.

Secure the crankshaft position

• Install the adjustment tool.

Remove:

• front air baffle.
  • the support between the cylinder block and the intake manifold.
  • the starter motor mounting screws.
  • Place the starter motor to one side.
  • Remove the blind cover plug and the sealing washer.
  • Install gauge(NNN) NNN-NNNN. Make sure that the gauge bottoms against the engine block.

Installing camshafts' timing gear pulleys

Timing gear pulley without VVT:

• install upper timing cover.
  • install timing gear pulley without VVT on the camshaft. Use two screws positioned so that the markings on the timing belt gears/upper timing gear cover match. Do not tighten.

Timing gear pulley VVT:

• Install the timing gear pulley with the centre screw on the camshaft. Make sure that the markings on the timing gear pulleys/upper timing gear cover match, but do not tighten.

Installing the timing belt

• Install the timing belt on the timing gear pulleys.
Note! Adjust so that the screws in the timing gear pulley without variable valve timing do not reach the limit position in the oval holes.

Tension the timing belt

Note! This adjustment is to be made with a cold engine. Suitable temperature is approximately 20°C/67°F. At a higher temperature, for example with a warm engine or a higher ambient temperature, the needle is further to the right.

• The image shows the indicator position at different engine temperatures.
  • The belt shall be tight between the inlet camshaft gear, idler gear, and crankshaft.

• Fix the belt tensioner centre screw in position and turn the belt tensioner eccentric counter clockwise until the tensioner indicator passes the marked position. Then turn the eccentric back so that the indicator reaches the marked position in the centre of the window
  • Hold the eccentric secure and tighten the centre screw. Torque tighten to 20 Nm .

Tightening timing gear pulley

• Tighten the centre screw on the timing gear pulley with VVT. Tighten to 90 Nm.
  • Install the plug. Tighten to 35 Nm .
  • Install the third screw on the camshaft without VVT. Tighten to 20 Nm .
  • Remove the adjustment tools.

Check

• Press the belt to check that the indicator on the tensioner moves easily.
  • Position the upper timing cover.
  • Turn the crankshaft two turns. Check that the markings on the crankshaft and camshaft pulley correspond
Note! Check that the indicator on the belt tensioner is within the marked area.

Installing the timing covers

Install:

• lower timing gear cover.
  • the front timing gear cover. Tightening torque 12 Nm .
  • the upper timing cover.

Installing the right-hand engine mounting

• Screw down the engine mount against the engine. Tightening torque 67 Nm .

Install:

• the screws on the body frame's console. Tighten with 50 Nm .

Finishing
Remove lifting beam and lifting hook.

Install:

• the servo reservoir.
  • servo hose's metal console on the auxiliary unit belt's rotation guard.
  • the auxiliaries belt
  • turbo engines: right engine protection cover as well as the cover over right headlight unit.
  • rear camshaft cover.
  • blinder. Tightening torque 17 Nm .
  • camshaft sensor housing. Tightening torque 5 Nm .
  • cable channel.
  • brake servo's vacuum hose.
  • hose between inlet pipe and air filter housing.
  • the blind cover plug.
  • the starter motor mounting screws.
  • front air baffle.
  • the cable from the battery's negative terminal. First read Note when disconnecting and connecting the battery lead .

Checking work
Function test:

• Carry out a road test.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Tim,

Thanks again for the quick response. Do you know if there is any place that might rent the special tools described in this procedure? I think I can fabricate something to work for a few of them, but the camshaft adjustment tool (999 5452) looks pretty elaborate. Is there more detail on this tool in the section that describes installing this tool? I was not able to get to this link either.

Thanks again,

Bobby

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
the info in that section is for the camshaft, not the tool, most parts houses like Autozone have a extensive tool loan program, i dont know if they will have one of these, but it would be worth a try, if not, you will have to fabricate one,Tim
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hey Tim,

Sorry to bother you again, but the images are no longer visible on your response. Is there any way I can get back to view the full images? Also, if I have further questions on this issue is there any way that I can make sure the question goes to you? I didn't know how questions are routed if I post another question.

Thanks again for all your help,

Bobby

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
the pictures are back up now, print them if you can, because if I turn my computer off, you will lose them, if you have any more questions, just reply back to this question, if you cant get back to this question, use my name in the header of the question, and i will help you,Tim
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Tim,

I copied the pictures and have them on my computer now - thanks very much.

I was looking at the back of the engine and trying to determine how to remove the rubber plug/cap from the intake cam side. It looks like the cam cover plate (probably not what it is called) will have to be at least loosened in order to remove that cover? Is that the correct or only way? It is clear how the back of the exhaust cam is accessed. There are bolts on this cover plate. In order to put the cam alignment tool, on it appears that access to the back of both cams is required, but it is not clear to me from the V V T replacement procedure, how the intake valve plug/cap it supposed to be removed. Any ideas? Thanks again for all your help on this!

Bobby

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Tim,

I was able to remove the intake cam cover plug. So you can disregard my previous question.

I am trying to fabricate the camshaft adjustment tool (999 5452). Can you tell me if the cams are supposed to be lined up along the same line? I wanted to make sure there wasn't a different angle from one cam to the other. Last question - I promise.

Thanks,

Bobby

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
Sorry i wasnt on last night, yes the cams will be at the same angle, and dont worry about asking too many questions, thats what i'm here for, let me know how it turns out,Tim
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hey Tim,

Just wanted to sa thanks for your help with my cam/valve timing issue. I was able to fabricate a tool that worked just fine. I think I'll go into business and sell this tool for 25% of what it costs to get the volvo oem tool. Mine was pretty simple, but like I said it worked fine. Thanks again for your help. I would definately use this web site again.

Bobby

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
Anytime my friend, glad i could help,Tim