Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Experience:  15+YEARS WITH VOLVO AS THE MASTER VOLVO MECHANIC&Ase

Immobilizer on a volvo s40 & can it be removed or bypassed?

Customer Question

where is the immobilizer on a volvo s40 & can it be removed or bypassed?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Enes replied 4 years ago.
i will find for you location im looking for it

Edited by ENES on 3/7/2010 at 12:46 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i think the green box might be the control unit for it.
Expert:  Enes replied 4 years ago.

the control unit immoblizer is in middle of the car mounde close to the floor you have to remove the side panels from where you gas pedal and you will see big control unit that is ecm and immoblizer control unit together in one .is not green is either sliver metalic color metal or black box metal

36: Replacing components. Immobilizer 3
Print
Replacing the engine control module (ECM)
Erasing the VIN or VERLOG code
H2302054 Note! This section concerns only normally aspirated gasoline engines: B4164S, B4184S, B4204S (engine management system Fenix 5.1) and gasoline engines with turbochargers (TC): B4194T, B4204T, (EMS 2000 engine management system). The section does not affect gasoline engine B4184SM (Melco 1 engine management system) and diesel engine D4192T (Lucas engine management system) when they do not have a VIN code. The VIN- or VERLOG code is used by the engine control module (ECM) and the coded starter module to check that the immobilizer has not been replaced by another unknown type. When replacing the engine control module (ECM) or coded starter module the old module's VIN- or VERLOG-code must first be erased. This is carried out by connecting the Volvo Scan Tool (ST) to the immobilizer control system. If this is not carried out the engine control module (ECM) or starter module cannot be tested (if it is being investigated for example). Neither can the module be moved between cars. The reason for this is that the module has learnt the VIN or VERLOG code generated by the control module in the car in which the module has been installed. The engine control module or starter module can then only function with the original immobilizer control module if the VIN or VERLOG codes are not erased. Note! The VIN or VERLOG codes can only be erased by the immobilizer control module which has the VIN or VERLOG codes learnt by the engine control module (ECM) or starter module.
Removal
H2301349 Remove the side panels from the center console. Mark the center of the security screw. Drill a hole the correct size to suit the screw extractor. Remove the clamp on the left-hand side. Caution! The engine control module (ECM) must not be disconnected until at least 10 seconds after the ignition is switched off and the engine cooling fan (FC) has stopped operating. Remove the control module from the mounting. Disconnect the connector.
Installation

Edited by ENES on 3/7/2010 at 1:48 AM EST