Brian, Mechanic
Experience:  20yrs working on volvo/saab

The interior lights are on but the car wont start

The interior lights are on but the car won't start

Hi and welcome .What model Volvo do you have? Do you hear the engine doing anything?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is a 1995 850. It is my daughters, but when you turn the key, it does nothing. No noise like it would even try to turn over. It just sounds dead. But since the lights were on, I didn't know if maybe the battery was too low to start the car, or if it was something else. She said that it didn't do anything unusual yesterday. She left the light on inside of it the other day but it started. She took my car to work so I can't try to jump it yet.

turn on your head lights if they look bright then battery is probably ok.If the battery is ok then you may have an alarm problem or starter problem. If it is the alarm the relay is above brake pedal( large red one that says ant-theft on it) try unplugging it and plug back in. If it is the starter you can have someone try to start the car while you check for power at the small terminal on the starter.