Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Experience:  15+YEARS WITH VOLVO AS THE MASTER VOLVO MECHANIC&Ase
20168386

The steering wheel on my 2004 XC90 is locked. I cant get it

Customer Question

The steering wheel on my 2004 XC90 is locked. I can't get it to move more than an inch to the right or left or get the ignition switch to turn at all. The car is stuck in Park. Any suggestions?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 7 years ago.
Hello, Have you tried putting the ignition key in the switch, (and while keeping a slight amount of pressure on the ignition key pushing it towards the ON position), try really turning the steering wheel either way to the Left or Right?.. Is this vehicle parked on a hill or parked with the front wheels at an angle or not straight ahead? thanks, XXXXX
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

We have tried all combinations of turning the steering wheel and turning the key.

The vehicle is parked with the front wheels at a slight angle, though not on a hill.

Thank you.

Expert:  Edward replied 7 years ago.
We'll what I believe we have here is a failed ignition lock cylinder then..
But I'll opt out as this is my "Best Guess"... If you have another ignition key to try that may work.

Eddie clayton
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
As originally stated, we have tried all 3 of our ignition keys. At this point, we're wondering how we can even have the vehicle towed, considering that the transmission is stuck in Park and the front wheels are locked at an angle.
Expert:  Edward replied 7 years ago.
jeez.. they'll drag it up on a roll back or dolly it..
Wish I could have been more help.. I believe that ignition cylinder is going to have to be drilled and replaced..

Eddie Clayton
Expert:  Edward replied 7 years ago.
Did you get the lock cylinder out of its jam?? Let me know what happens!! good luck

Eddie Clayton
Expert:  Edward replied 7 years ago.
Hey, what happened?? Did they have to drill out the lock cylinder??

Eddie Clayton