Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

1999 Volvo V70: AWD XC..I make sharp low speed turns..clunking noise

Customer Question

What is the problem with my 1999 Volvo V70 AWD XC when I make sharp low speed turns to the right or left I hear a clunking noise? The Volvo dealer I took it to thought it was the propeller shaft, but he has tried two replacement shafts and they were worse. What is the problem?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Enes replied 6 years ago.
did volvo install new propeller shafts ? is the noise from front or center or rear of the car ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm not sure if the shafts were new or rebuilt. They may have been rebuilt, but they cost over $1000. The noise seems to be coming from the rear.
Expert:  Enes replied 6 years ago.
it will be hard for me to say what the noise is like this but the drive shaft if you paid $1000 that is the Volvo shaft than it is possible that the drive shaft is rubbing on something but it can problem in rear differential unit with gears worn out . but im not sure why the Volvo dealer cant tell where you noise is coming from if they installed the shaft why is the noise not fixed >? and if not fixed what is making noise when you under the car and drive im sure they can make the noise on lift ?

Edited by ENES on 2/1/2010 at 3:18 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The dealer thinks and I think the noise is coming from the rear. Have you encountered this problem? What do you think it is? The CV joint, the viscous loint, etc?
Expert:  Enes replied 6 years ago.

more problem i see is viscous clutch housing what hold the viscous clutch in place that goes bad you can reuse your old viscous clutch what will save you big money there

it can be rear axles or the rear final drive but not so much that i see as problem

i would go with replacing or looking close at viscous clutch housing it has bearings and they go noise and worn out

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I would like to work with a new expert.
Expert:  Enes replied 6 years ago.
ok no problem per your request i will opt out and repost your question .
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 6 years ago.
Enes was correct, it sounds like a bad viscous, but one thing to check,the tires, the Volvo awd drive is very sensative to differently worn tires, they need to check the circumference of each tire, they must be within a 1/4 in of each other, or the system will bind in tight turning radiuses,Tim
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So, you don't think it is the propeller shaft or the continuious velocity joints?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 6 years ago.
I dont think so, the cv joints dont usually make this noise when turning, on the rears, but on the front they do, I do believe it is the viscous binding, this is a common problem when one tire has worn more than the others, you cant visually check this, you must run a string around each tire, and measure the circumference,Tim
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience: 30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank You
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 6 years ago.

Anytime my friend, let me know what you find,Tim

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I just had the problem correctly diagnosed and repaired by my Volvo dealer. It was not what you said. The problem was the bevel gear assembly and after it was replaced, the problem was gone.