Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.

Hi there. My drivers seat belt is locked up and wont come

Hi there.
My drivers seat belt is locked up and won't come out of the post. What can I do to remedy this?

Dale
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 4 years ago.
Hello Dale, I have seen this before on this year model.. and unfortunately the only thing to do is replace the seat belt retractor assembly itself... Unless in the remote possibility something has physically jammed the retractor mechanism... You would need to take off the pillar trim panel and rocker panel trim to expose the seatbelt retractor assembly to try and unjam the belt.. I usually do it by working in the cars backseat with the drivers seat in the full upward position and the headrest all the way towards the steering wheel.. you can pull that panel off and try to manipulate the retractor by hand and pull the belt a few times to see if it will work properly but I believe you may wind up replacing this seat belt assembly..

Eddie Clayton

I HAVE DONE MY BEST TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION. IF YOU AGREE PLEASE CLICK ACCEPT AND LEAVE POSITIVE FEEDBACK..THANK YOU!

Edited by Edward Clayton on 1/25/2010 at 5:29 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This pillar trim panel, is there a special way to take it off? is it clipped on or screwed into place? will I break anything trying to remove it?

Dale
Expert:  Edward replied 4 years ago.
Hey Dale, the panel that your belt actually goes through. clips onto the Post.. should be able to pop it off the post by bending the sides out. also you may want to start at the front of the rocker panel trim..(the panel at the bottom when you open your door). that panel is secured by clips. and sometimes they will break when removing ..No way around it. They pop these cars together going down the line and don't give a whole lot of thought about removing trim panels once there popped into place..I've enclose a picture with red arrows you need to pull out on that panel at the edges where the panel meets the pillar.. then pull the panel towards you to release it.. I hope this helps...

graphic

Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.