Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1

how to replace a 2000 volvo v70 ignition switch

Customer Question

Category: Volvo
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.

Replacing steering column cover

Removal

Preparations

- Remove the ignition key.
- Lower and pull the steering wheel out as far as possible.

Removing steering column cover

- Undo the screws.
- Pull the lower cover loose and remove it.
- Fold up the upper cover.
- Remove the mounting for the apron molding by beginning unhooking from the side.

Installation

- Locate the lower cover. Check that the seals for the stalks are correctly positioned.
- Position the upper cover. Press the apron molding into place. Begin pressing from the center.
- Place the upper cover on the lower cover guides. Press the lower cover into place. Check that the seals for the stalks are correctly positioned.
- Install the screws.
- Everything else is installed in reverse order.

Start switch

Removal

Note! A new start switch and bracket has been introduced into production. Start switch kit(NNN) NNN-NNNNshould be used for replacements from the following chassis numbers inclusive:
S70 596562
V70 587383
C70 Coupe 12008
C70 Convertible 1705

Preparations

Remove the steering column covers according to Replacing steering column cover

Note! Do not remove the upper cover from the apron molding.

Start switch

Remove the screws and bracket
Release the start switch
Disconnect the connector.

Installation

Install the connector on the start switch
Position the start switch on the steering wheel lock
Install the screws and bracket
Check the function
Install the steering column covers according to Replacing steering column cover

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi
I need to replace the key and the cylinder. Is there a way to take out the key cylinder without replacing the housing?
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

Glen-

There is no way to remove just the cylinder. The entire column lock has to be replaced.

First, disconnect the battery.

Then, remove the steering column covers by removing the Torx-25 screws from the bottom cover and pulling the covers off.

Next, remove the airbag. Put the key in the ignition and turn it to position 2. Turn the steering wheel 90 degrees in either direction. Use a long Torx-30 bit to unscrew the Torx-30 screw holding the airbag. Turn the wheel back to center and then 90 degrees to the other direction to access the other screw. Then remove the airbag and set aside.

Remove the steering wheel. Be sure to mark it's position.

Remove the contact reel and both stalks. Be sure to lock the contact reel in its position.

Now, disconnect and remove the ignition switch from the column lock. It's held on by 2 screws, Torx 15 or 20.

Disconnect the shift lock cable from the back of the column lock. Drill out the two sheer screws holding the column lock to the column (marked 1 below).

graphic

Now remove the lock. Install the new one using two new sheer bolts. The heads of these will break off when they are torqued properly.

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience: One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1