hauto, Technician
Experience:  worked on volvo's in a volvo dealership for 5 years, factory trained, run own repair shop now.

I have a 1987 volvo 240 DL & the car will not start. I have

I have a 1987 volvo 240 DL & the car will not start. I have replaced the Distributor, Ignitional Control Unit and the Ignition coil and still will not start. I'm not sure what I missed & I don't want to give up since I already replaced theses parts. Can you please help...
Category: Volvo
Expert:  hauto replied 6 years ago.

Hello. Check the fuel pump, When you turn the ignition on you should hear the fuel pump

energize for few seconds. If it does check fuel pressure at the fuel rail.

If the pump does not come on then check the f/pump relay. below is a digram of the locations of the rail and the relay.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I already check the fuel pump & relay. Its working fine. The problem is it has no sparks.
Expert:  hauto replied 6 years ago.

Ok sorry. your question did not say anything about fuel.

check for voltage at the coil terminal, if you place a test light there as you crank the light should pulsate. then the most likely cause is the hall effect sensor. some times the knock sensor caused a no spark issue to, check that. of both are ok and you replaced the control unit then the issue is wiring and you have to do continuity tests on the wiring of these parts. check loose connections and or corroded wires. below is diagram of the hall effect sensor is #1 and of the ignition system