Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Experience:  15+YEARS WITH VOLVO AS THE MASTER VOLVO MECHANIC&Ase
20168386

how do I set up the timing for a 1998 volvo s70 2.4 non-turbo

how do I set up the timing for a 1998 volvo s70 2.4 non-turbo with the timing belt off, and the camshaft pulleys were moved.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Enes replied 4 years ago.

what did you do just take off the timing belt and moved the camshaft like 30 degrees?

did you do anythign else like take out pullyes change seals ?did you time the engine to correct marks befroe you did remove the belt?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I replaced the water pump and the crankshaft front seal. I do not believe that it is that far off, however when I initially started this job, I rotated the cranshaft until I had the Camshaft timing marks as close to lining up as I could. The left side camshaft would not line up with the grove in the plastic housing, however the right camshaft pulley lined up. I tried turning the crankshaft numerous times to get a better alignment and could not. I have had both the timing belt pully and the crankshaft pulleys off in order to replace the seal.
Expert:  Enes replied 4 years ago.

so you have the info for timing belt installation and removal like from alldata right ?

what is off now just top camshaft moved on you ? do you have cover like this on the s70 or different take look in picture beloow

Edited by ENES on 1/4/2010 at 5:09 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I have not put the belt back on as yet and I want to make sure that everything is set up correctly before proceeding. I would like to make sure that the # XXXXX piston is at TDC and then be able to set up the cams, is this possible or do I stand a chance of impacting the valves with the piston? I was unable to initially verify the timing pulley was lined up correctly. I just went under the assumption that if the cams were properly lined up with the belt on then the crank would have to be as well.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I have that type of cover along with an automatic belt tensioner
Expert:  Enes replied 4 years ago.
so you cam shaft are moved only ? you did not move crankshaft after take belt off to much >?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
To my knowledge the crankshaft has not moved at all. But I would feel a lot better if I knew for certain that it is in the correct timing position, so I do not have a valve impacting a piston
Expert:  Enes replied 4 years ago.

if you cranksaft move small amount you can just move it back to mark

and same thing you can do with camshaft just move them to makrs on cover and install belt turn by hand and it should do it only if you made full turns on the gears than you will need special tool to bring it to timing you can buy the tool for$160 on ebay what lines up samshafts to timing it goes in back of the cylinder head oppsite side of the timing belt gears

Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Experience: 15+YEARS WITH VOLVO AS THE MASTER VOLVO MECHANIC&Ase