marc pod
marc pod, own collision repair advice
Experience:  i-car/Basf training, 300 repairs and 650,000 in Collision monthly 18 yrs exp/licensed adjuster

How do you adjust the headlight alignment on a 2002 volvo xc70?

Customer Question

Category: Volvo
Expert:  marc pod replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to just answer. Here is the procedure. if you need anything jsut let me know.

Headlamp range adjustment motor

• Remove one of the protective covers over the bulbs
  • Detach the air hose from the control module housing (when replacing on the right-hand side)
  • Disconnect the connector for the headlamp range adjustment motor.

• Turn the motor almost 1/4 turn downwards and in towards the headlamp housing. The white point must be against the housing
  • Work the motor out of the headlamp housing. The motor must remain in the reflector.

• Pull the lamp back towards the opening. The reflector will follow it slightly
  • Angle the motor down while pulling it upwards so that it releases from the reflector.

Installation

Headlamp range adjustment motor

• Grasp the lamp and pull the reflector back towards the mounting in the headlamp housing so that the mounting for the reflector is visible. The reflector mounting on the motor can be screwed in and out. Adjust as necessary.

HINT: Counterhold the reflector when installing the motor.

Install:

• the motor from above at an angle in the headlamp housing. Hook the motor onto the lower edge of the reflector mounting
  • the motor in the headlamp housing. Turn the motor so that the white tip is pointing straight up
  • the connector for the motor
  • the protective cover for the bulb
  • the air hose to the control module housing (when replacing on the right hand side).

Finishing

• Adjust the beam.

• Ignition and low beam on
  • Check the button which controls the beam level. Set the button to the neutral position
  • Check the current. Check that the power supply is sufficient for the desired beam level

CAUTION: Always adjust the beam with low beam switched on.

• Adjust the beam vertically (Y) using an Allen screw.
  • Adjust the beam horizontally (X) using an Allen screw.

HINT: Use a delta 6 mm Allen screw.

WARNING: Always adjust the headlamp beam.

Adjustment, USA

• Ignition and low beam on
  • Remove the guard over the adjustment screw. Adjust the beam horizontally (X) by pulling the adjustment screw upwards

HINT: Use a delta6 mm Allen screw.

Adjustment, United Kingdom

• Ignition and low beam on

HINT: Use a delta 6 mm Allen screw.

Adjustment, Japan

• Ignition and low beam on

HINT: Use a delta 6 mm Allen screw.

requirements of the market.

Adjustment, USA

• Ignition and low beam on

HINT: Use a delta 6 mm Allen screw.

marc pod, own collision repair advice
Experience: i-car/Basf training, 300 repairs and 650,000 in Collision monthly 18 yrs exp/licensed adjuster
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
still confusing-- much too much detail covering other things-- not specific for the alignment adjustment. There are no allen screws on this car--
Expert:  marc pod replied 4 years ago.
They should be torx screws just above the headlight to the back the size of maybe a 1/4 of an inch. Do you see them?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes i see them-- the also turn and as i am turning them i also see something rotating directly below what i am turning. As i am doing this the beam of the headlight is moving. As i turn to the right, the beam goes up, turn to the left and the beam goes down
Expert:  marc pod replied 4 years ago.
that is the headlight range motoris it towards the inside center of car
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no, it is right behind the light assembly
Expert:  marc pod replied 4 years ago.

Does it look kind of square?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
kind of-- white plastic looking a 6 mm socket seemed to fit over it and it is directly below one of the holes in the metal above the light assembly
Expert:  marc pod replied 4 years ago.
yes that is the light headlamp range adjuster
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

right now the drivers side is adjusted downward out of the treetops-- a fix to an adjustment made by a local repair shop-- but the passenger side headlight seems to be much more diffused. Is it supposed to be that way?

Expert:  marc pod replied 4 years ago.
yes
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK-- thanks for all your help and have a good evening
Expert:  marc pod replied 4 years ago.
your welcome happy new year