Chris
Chris, Technician
Experience:  20 Years Volvo experience, Based in Maine, Volvo certified Expert. expertvolvo.com
21030812

1999 Volvo V70: XC..4WD..the car was idling when the timing belt went

Customer Question

Should I replace a timing belt on a 1999 Volvo V70 XC 4WD that shredded while the car was idling?
What are the odds that this interference engine had damage? Is it a certainty, even if the car was idling when the timing belt went? Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX Denver, CO
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Chris replied 7 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for your question....

The odds of interference at idle are 100%. It has been tried by many people, without success, just putting the belt on. I would contact a local salvage yard, and look for a used cylinder head. this is your best bet. The valves from Volvo are $35.00 ea...X20= ouch!

I wish there was a way to ressurect this without a complete tear down, but that is NOT the way it is. Let me know what you decide to do about the head.... I would also figure on paying a shop about 10 hours of labor plus the cost of all the parts to do the job.