Brian
Brian, Mechanic
Experience:  20yrs working on volvo/saab
17530802

I have a 2005 Volvo S40 with a P0171 trouble code and no other

I have a 2005 Volvo S40 with a P0171 trouble code and no other symptoms. I brought to a mechanic, but the code was gone. He checked out the car and said nothing appeared to be wrong. The car drives fine, but the light keeps coming and going. Any thoughts?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.

Hi, code means car is running lean prpbably a emissions problem this could be caused by o2 sensor starting to malfuction or air flow meter. It could be the start of a minor problem but until it get worse you may not be able to pinpoint problem. I agree with mechanic probably nothing wrong and what ever is going on will eventually become more apparent . If you have any other questions let me know.

Thanks

Brian

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there any thing I can or should do? Obviously I don't want to make an existing problem worse.
Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.

Not really the car could doing this for along time and you wouldnt do any damage the check engine light will come on permentantly before anything serios goes wrong that is its purpose.

Thanks

Brian

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What should I be looking for before I bring it back to the mechanic? The light is on more often than not.
Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.

If car is running rough or you start to see gas mile degrease even though you have a lean code that code easily turn to a rich condition if it is the air flow meter then it would be time to bring it to a mechanic

Thanks

Brian

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Could there be more codes if the problem worsen? Is it worth purchasing a code reader?
Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.

There probably more codes which help with diagnosis of problem. Code readers are pretty inexpensive now so if it is going to give you peice of mind it is worth it. Keep in mind places like autozone and pepboys will do it for free.

Thanks

Brian

Brian, Mechanic
Experience: 20yrs working on volvo/saab