Brian
Brian, Mechanic
Experience:  20yrs working on volvo/saab
17530802

89 volvo 240 dl: intermitant starting problem..cluster..lights come

I have a 89 volvo 240 dl wagon. I have had an intermitant starting problem for a while now. When I turn the key and the cluster waning lights come on it starts every time. When I turn the key and nothing lights up it does not start. When turning the key to shut off engine and cluster lights come on it will always start next time. when turning engine off and nothing lights up on cluster it will not start next time. I have to turn the key to the on position and in a few minutes the cluster lights come on and car will start. Once running car never stalls. I have cleaned battery terminals, changed ignition switch same problem . I was told by someone he thinks one of the relays is hanging up. I am not a mechanic and need help with this as to which relay could be causing this and where it is located. This is a great running 240 but this is driving me more nuts.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Brian replied 7 years ago.

Hi, I dint think it is a relay. There is a 6 prong gray plug underneath hood on drivers side next to fire wall this goes to your dashlights and other systems . check for broken wires open plug and clean connections. If this doesnt work there is a wiring harness that runs under the cranks shaft pully check this for shotrs and degraded wires. I hope this helps

thanks

Brian