Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

If I got a P0455 OBD trouble code on my 1998 Volvo s70 and

If I got a P0455 OBD trouble code on my 1998 Volvo s70 and I'm also smelling fuel vapors whenever I turn on the air conditioner, what could be going on?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
This means there is a large leak in your evap system which is commonly a loose gascap or bad gascap seal or could likely be a leak in the filler tube. I would first check to make sure the gascap is tight if so replace the gascap. You could also try a new canister purge valve If problem still exists you would want to bring the vehicle to a shop so they can do a smoke test to visually look for leaks. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Edited by Dan on 11/9/2009 at 4:00 AM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Here's the thing. The Volvo also failed last year; I took it to my Volvo dealer. They did a smoke test, kept the car for 9 hours one day trying to isolate the leak and came up with nothing. 1998 Volvos are notorious for failing emissions. This happens every year with my car and my aunt's car (she also drives a 1998 Volvo S-70. I had heard that there could be a recall on this year/model related to the gas cap or evap system. Do you know of such? My check engine light stays on constantly. I fail emissions every year, yet the car runs great with no mechanical problems. Whenever they bypass the Onboard Diagnostics System and run the tailpipe test, I pass. But some of the attendants are unwilling to do this because they are unaware of any recalls. Thoughts?
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
According to my information there is no recal for this but you can call the toll-free number to double check. It is 18004581552. I would recommend bringing the vehicle to a shop that is familiar with the problem and how to repair. With the proper tools this should not be too hard to diagnose. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.