ase_master327
ase_master327, Shop owner
Experience:  +15 years experience with Volvos. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.
907259

My car loses power (rpm) when I accelerate and the engine dies

Customer Question

My car loses power (rpm) when I accelerate and the engine dies in traffic
Category: Volvo
Expert:  ase_master327 replied 4 years ago.
Hi, thanks for asking..
Does the engine also bog down like this when the vehicle is out of gear?

There are a few different engine combinations in this car... You an tell which one you have on the underhood sticker..
On the front of the engine is a sticker on the timing cover.. at the bottom of that sticker it will have a letter followed by some numbers... With that 'code' we can correctly identify the engine in your V70.
graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Absolutely. The engine starts ok and about a minute into running the rpm needle goes crazy. If I don't hit the gas while in park the engine may die. This is especially concerning while I'm driving in heavy traffic especially while turning a corner.
I will check the tag for the number you indicated so you can identfy my engine
Hmmm.. it only takes about 1 minute for it to act up, huh?
At this point... I have to ask, when is the last time it had an ignition system tuneup?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
3 months ago and before htat 3 months. This car has been checked for this problem 4 times in the past 2 years. I hope you can help!!

Hmmmm... I have an idea of what COULD be causing the problem.. but unfortunately, I have to leave for a few hours. So.. I will send you to one of my friends.. Hang in there, we will get you pointed in the right direction.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How long do I have to wait?
Expert:  Chris replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your patience, do you have access to a code reader? if not then I would ask that you have your cars engine codes scanned at an autozone or pep boys most of the time their parts departments will give you a free scan of your engine control module.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do not have access to a code reader. My car has been hooked up to the reader three time in the past 12 months. This did not slove the problem and frankly I don't think you can either. I was hoping for some solid advice based on the many years of experience but I was mistaken.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Please refer me to ase Master 327. With him we were heading in the right direction.
Thanks
Hi..
Does it idle higher than normal when you first crank it up or anything like that?

Chris does bring up a good point, too.. Is the engine light on? If so.. codes will help point in the right direction.

Also.. have you got that engine ID code yet?.. or the VIN would do if that'e easier for you. I really need to know which engine you have as there are several different ones available in this model.

Edited by ase_master327 on 10/28/2009 at 8:40 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Good morning:
I want to apologize - I had to leave for a few days and could not respond to your request.
My VIN # XXXXX XXXXX
The problem is persisting. As I told Chris - Volvo dealership hooked my car up to the computer and no codes were evident.
I really want to resolve this issue so I can feel safe in my vehicle.
Thanks
Steve