dramey
dramey, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  have worked on volvo's for 4 years and am a ase master mechanic. current shop foreman
21612858

How do I change the heater core in a 1999 Volve S70?

Category: Volvo
Expert:  dramey replied 5 years ago.

Hi there this is a diagram on replacing the heater hore in your car, make sure to always change all o rings and drain the coolant before doing this repair

• Remove soundproofing panels right and left-hand sides
  • Remove left and right-hand side carpet mountings.
  • Remove RTI bracket or amplifier bracket if applicable.
  • Remove knee bolster if applicable.
  • Detach drain hose and push it to one side.
  • Remove the screws on the left and right-hand side of the cover for the heat exchanger.
  • Remove the screw for the pipe flange for the heat exchanger

NOTE! Put plenty of absorbent paper under and around the pipe flange.

• Remove the heat exchanger and its cover.
  • Remove the heat exchanger from cover.

Installing

Operations in passenger compartment

• First read Before starting work on heat exchanger
  • Install the heat exchanger in the cover.

NOTE! Check the seal when installing.

• Install the heat exchanger with cover. Align the pipes in the flange
  • Install the screw in the pipe flange on the heat exchanger
  • Install drain hose.

Operations in engine compartment

• Remove the grip locl pliers(NNN) NNN-NNNNfrom hoses.
  • Top up coolant.
  • Test for leaks.

Operations in passenger compartment

• Install bracket for RTI or amplifier if installed.
  • Install knee bolster, if any.
  • Install carpet support on the left and right-hand sides.
  • Install soundproofing panels right and left-hand sides.

Expert:  dramey replied 5 years ago.

Also if you broght it to a shop as per aldata it is a 1.8 hour job

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you. Do you have diagrams to remove the knee bolster and / or the lower dash? Is there a good manual that shows ALL this?

Expert:  dramey replied 5 years ago.
There is a good manual like chilton manual for a good aftermarket manual, I am sorrry the volvo system will not let you import the pics. so I have to use alldata and that does not have pics. of trim the trim on your car for the pass. side you have to remove the glove box that is all the bolts around the glove box and then there is a torx 25 bolt that holds in the pass. side trim panel and on the drviers side there is just one t25 bolt that holds that panel on and then it will pull down and pull out to come off and the knee bolster is just bolted in and pretty strait forward after you get the trim off, Thank you
dramey, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: have worked on volvo's for 4 years and am a ase master mechanic. current shop foreman