Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Experience:  15+YEARS WITH VOLVO AS THE MASTER VOLVO MECHANIC&Ase
20168386

I have a 95 volvo 960. the car stalls out while driving on

I have a 95 volvo 960. the car stalls out while driving on the freeway-i already had the ignition switch changed and numerous fuses and relays-took it to 3 mechanics and one volvo expert and still one can figure out what the problem is. i drove it for a couple hours today and it would only stall out when i had the a/c on. please help!!!
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Enes replied 4 years ago.
that sounds like bad fuel pump if you have no fault codes or check engine light than i would go for the fuel pump i had few 960 that i hard time finding problem car would turn off on highway problem was after tested pump with fuel gages when i had problem was bad fuel pump .how does the car restart ?
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Experience: 15+YEARS WITH VOLVO AS THE MASTER VOLVO MECHANIC&Ase
Expert:  Enes replied 4 years ago.

FUEL PUMP REPLACEMENT

graphic
View Full Image

4-Door Models:

• Remove:
  • Spare wheel cover.
  • Trunk floor carpeting.

graphic
View Full Image

5-Door Models:

• Remove:
  • Left rear wheel-arch cover.
  • Floor panel behind rear seat. (Fold down seatback to reach nuts and then draw panel forwards and upwards).

graphic

Remove:

• Tank unit cover. Clean around tank unit and hose connections.
  • Hoses from tank unit. (Remove quick-release coupling by simultaneously pressure on hose and sliding sleeve upwards).

NOTE: Wear a mask to avoid inhaling fuel vapor.

graphic
View Full Image

Remove:

• Hose clips around nut.
  • Nut to tank unit with tool P/N(NNN) NNN-NNNN
  • Lift up tank unit as far as electrical leads allow.
  • Seals.

NOTE: If tank nut is not replaced within about half a day, It must be changed or it will not fit and leakage will result.

graphic

Slack Off Pump

• First detach lower pump fastener then upper fastener.
  • Disconnect electrical leads.
  • Slack off hose clip at pump.
  • Carefully remove pump from hose.
  • Change pump.

Fit:

• Pump electrical wiring.
  • Pump to hose and tighten hose clip.
  • Attach upper fastener first.
  • Press in lower fastener.

graphic
View Full Image

Fit Tank Unit

• Fit new seal to tank opening.
  • Grease tank unit contact surface with a thin layer of petroleum Jelly (glycerol).
  • Lower tank unit into tank, taking care not to damage pump fixings against tank wash-plates. Check that seal is not drawn into tank.

graphic

Locate Tank Unit

• Locate position marks against tank plastic joints.
  • Enter nut and tighten with tool P/N(NNN) NNN-NNNN taking care not to damage nipples.
  • Lock with hose clip.

graphic

Fit:

• Hoses. Check that hoses cannot slip off pipes on tank unit.
  • Tank unit cover.

graphic
View Full Image

Carry Out Function Check

• Check pump and measurement functions.

graphic
View Full Image

4-Door Models:

• Fit:
  • Spare wheel cover.
  • Trunk floor carpeting.

5-Door Models:

• Fit:
  • Left rear wheel-arch cover.
  • Floor panel behind rear seat.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have had my check engine light on and off since this started a few months ago-the engine code that the mechanic told me was 113-he changed 3 to 4 realys and main relay (underhood & in dash)-the next expert mechanic said i needed a new wiring harness-but I had another mechanic that changed the ignition switch and the car drove great on a 4 hour trip and numerous other drives for weeks-but then a few days ago I started it with my remote start-and left it running and forgot about it-the car cutoff afterabout 20 minutes but the lights flashed until the battery dies-i jumped the car drove it and then the it stalled and engine light came on-AGAIN!!! put a new battey and it continued to stall-but yesterday i drove it for two hours with engine light on and it only stalls when the a/c is on. drove it today for an hour without a/s on and no stalling-car has always restarted if i turn the keyback all the way towards me-PLEASE-PLEASE-HELP

Expert:  Enes replied 4 years ago.

you need to get this diagnosed at volvo shop for sure to find out were you problem is it is posible that remote start that is non volvo system gets computer in car confused and you have problems also if the wiring harness has problem is hard to find problem in it needs many scan tool adapters to test harness .the fault code that you had i did not know before but you said you had 113 you have to test all this below what i send you to test 113 code

Here is the code description. If you accept this please hit the green payment tab. If you need anything else just let me know.

print this right away

1-1-3 INJECTOR GROUP 1

View Full Image

Trouble Code Conditions
If the injector group circuit is shorted to ground/live, or if there is a break in the circuit, the Engine Control Module (ECM) notes this as a fault and sets Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) 1-1-3.

Substitute value(s)

• ECM shuts off faulty injector group.
  • Fuel trim inhibited.

Fault source(s)
Signal too high:

• Signal lead short circuit to live.
  • Injection valve defect.

Signal too low:

• Power lead broken.
  • Signal lead short circuit to ground.
  • Contact resistance in terminals.
  • Injection valve defect.

Current too low:

• Signal lead broken.
  • Contact resistance in terminals.
  • Injection valve defect.

Fault symptom(s)

• Engine is running on 3 cylinders.
  • Engine does not start.

TEST PROCEDURE

View Full Image

STATUS REPORT

• Signal too high:
  • Proceed to SIGNAL TOO HIGH section below.
  • Signal too low:
  • Proceed to SIGNAL TOO LOW section below.
  • Current too low:
  • Proceed to CURRENT TOO LOW section below.

SIGNAL TOO HIGH

• Start engine
  • Test engine start.

If engine runs on 3 cylinders:

• Check injection valves. Proceed to CHECK INJECTION VALVES section below.

If engine runs on 6 cylinders:

• Intermittent fault, signal too high. Proceed to INTERMITTENT FAULT, SIGNAL TOO HIGH section below.

View Full Image

CHECK INJECTION VALVES

• Ignition off.
  • Disconnect injection valves 1, 2 and 4.
  • Connect an ohmmeter between injection valves connectors 1 and 2 for each injection valve in turn.

The ohmmeter should read approx. 16 ohms for each injection valve.

If injection valves are OK:

• Check lead between injection valves and ECM # XXXXX for short circuit to live.

If values are different:

• Test with new injection valve.

SIGNAL TOO LOW

• Start engine
  • Test engine start.

If engine does not start or runs on 3 cylinders:

• Check power lead. Proceed to CHECK POWER LEAD section below.

If engine runs on 6 cylinders:

• Intermittent fault, signal too low. Proceed to INTERMITTENT FAULT, SIGNAL TOO LOW section below.

CHECK POWER LEAD

• Ignition off.

View Full Image

• Ignition on.
  • Connect a voltmeter between injection valve connector terminal 1 and ground for each injection valve in turn.

The voltmeter should indicate battery voltage.

If values OK:

• Check signal lead resistance to ground. Proceed to CHECK SIGNAL LEAD RESISTANCE TO GROUND section below.

If values differ:

• Check fuse 5 (11B/5) in central relay unit.

If fuse OK:

• Check lead between injection valves and main relay 2/32 terminal 3 for break.

If fuse broken:

• Check lead between injection valves and fuse 5 for short circuit to ground.

View Full Image

CHECK SIGNAL LEAD RESISTANCE TO GROUND

• Ignition off.
  • Injection valves 1, 2 and 4 disconnected.
  • Connect an ohmmeter between injection valve terminal 2 and ground for each injection valve in turn.

The ohmmeter should read approx. 0.8 ohms .

If values OK:

If values differ:

• Check lead between injection valves and ECM # XXXXX for short circuit to ground.

View Full Image

CHECK INJECTION VALVES

• Ignition off.
  • Connect an ohmmeter between injection valve connectors 1 and 2 for each injection valve in turn.

If injection valves OK:

• The DTC has a bad contact in the injection valve connector. Fix bad contact in injection valve connector, contact resistance and oxidation.

If value differs:

• Test with new injection valve.

CURRENT TOO LOW

• Start engine.
  • Test engine start.

If engine runs on 3 cylinders:

If engine runs on 6 cylinders:

• Intermittent fault, current too low. Proceed to INTERMITTENT FAULT, CURRENT TOO LOW section below.

View Full Image

CHECK INJECTION VALVES.

• Ignition off.
  • Connect an ohmmeter between injection valve connector terminals 1 and 2 for each injection valve in turn.

If values OK:

• Check leads. Proceed to CHECK LEADS section below.

If valves differ:

• Test with new injections valve.

View Full Image

CHECK LEADS

• Ignition off.
  • Connect an ohmmeter between terminal 2 on connector to injection valve 1 and terminal 2 of connector to injection valve 2.
  • Repeat between injection valves 1 and 4.

The ohmmeter should read approx. 0 ohms for both.

If values OK:

• Check connector. Proceed to CHECK CONNECTOR section below.

If values differ:

• Check engine wiring between injection valves for break.

View Full Image

CHECK CONNECTOR

• Ignition off.
  • Check ECM connector and 55-pin connector in central relay unit (A3/F) terminal 10 for contact resistance and oxidation.
  • Connect breakout box and check control points.

View Full Image

• Connect an ohmmeter between # XXXXX and # XXXXX on breakout box.

The ohmmeter should read approx 1 k ohm .

If value OK:

If ohmmeter reads infinite resistance:

• Check lead between ECM # XXXXX and injection valves for break.

View Full Image

CHECK INJECTION VALVES

• Ignition off.
  • Connect an ohmmeter between injection valve connector 1 and 2 for each injection valve in turn.

If injection valves OK:

• Source of DTC is bad contact in injection valve connector. Check connectors for loose connection as well as contact resistance and oxidation.

If value differs:

• Test with new injection valve.

View Full Image

INTERMITTENT FAULT, SIGNAL TOO HIGH
Check leads and terminals

• Check lead between injection valves terminal 2 and ECM # XXXXX for intermittent short circuit to live.

View Full Image

INTERMITTENT FAULT, SIGNAL TOO LOW
Check leads and terminals

• Check injection valve and ECM connector for loose connection as well as contact resistance and oxidation.
  • Check lead between injection valves terminal 2 and ECM # XXXXX for intermittent short circuit to ground.
  • Check lead between injection valves terminal 1 and main relay for intermittent break.

View Full Image

INTERMITTENT FAULT, CURRENT TOO LOW
Check leads and terminals

• Check lead between injection valve terminal 2 and ECM # XXXXX for intermittent break.
  • Check 55-pin connector in central relay unit (A3/F) terminal 10, injection valve and ECM connector for loose connection, as well as contact resistance and oxidation.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

why does the car drive perfect when ac is off?

Expert:  Enes replied 4 years ago.
when you turn ac on off you putting extra load on the engine so it can both in fuel system control not enough fuel or in harness,computer ,engine sensors .you have to start testing many parts now and you have to replace parts as step by step .it can be all problem in ecu but it needs to be tested with more Volvo test adapters to see where you problem is
Expert:  Enes replied 4 years ago.

here is something else to check below that can give you 113 fault code

It could also be a bad power stage that is on the side of the intake manifold that is bad.
I have seen many of them go bad

Kind of hard to see
Your "A" is D (Ignition coil relay)and your "B" is C (Main relay):
__________________