Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Experience:  15+YEARS WITH VOLVO AS THE MASTER VOLVO MECHANIC&Ase
20168386

2001 Volvo: wagon..all brake lights..bulbs..wiring diagram

I have a 2001 Volvo XC 70 Cross Country wagon and all brake lights except the third light are out. I checked bulbs and they are fine. I don't have a wiring diagram so I can't trace the source.

I need help to find out what is going on. Possibly the relay is bad?

Cliff

Campaign No.131 Brake Light Relay

Background:

Volvo Cars of North America, LLC and Volvo Cars of Canada, Ltd. have decided that a

defect related to motor vehicle safety exists in the rear left and right brake light relays of

certain model year 2002 V70 and V70 XC (Cross Country) vehicles. In some cases, the

brake lights may not function when the brake pedal is depressed or may stay on

continuously. In both cases, the high positioned brake light and all other tail lights will

not be affected.

The corrective action will be to replace the brake relay with two relays of a modified

design.

Competence requirement

Volvo Level 1 Technician

Material

Description Quantity P/N

Relay 2(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Service:

All affected vehicles must have two new relays installed in the rear electronic module

(REM) as described below.

Removing the original relay 1

Remove the left rear cargo compartment trim panel in order to access the Rear Electronic

Module. With the ignition off, REMOVE the RELAY installed in position RMI 5 and

position RMI 6 in the REM, which controls both brake lights and the rear fog light as

shown.

Installing replacement relays 2

Install TWO new relays, part number(NNN) NNN-NNNNin the REM positions RMI 5 and RMI 6 as

shown.

Verify functionality 3

Verify the function of all brake lights, tail lights, rear fog light, and reinstall cargo

compartment Trim panels

here some picture i have but i thing you have same thing or similar location is same