Mike, volvo Tech
Mike, volvo Tech, Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs volvo technician, Ase A1-A8, L1, A/C certified

Hi, Where is my radio amplifier on my 1999 Volvo V70 and how

Customer Question

Where is my radio amplifier on my 1999 Volvo V70 and how can I access it and remove it if I need to? I have a problem with my sound system (blowing fuses after 30 seconds) and I've checked that the CD/radio unit is OK and now I want to check if it will still blow fuses if I unplug the amplifier. Thanks for your help.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Mike, volvo Tech replied 7 years ago.
If you have an external amp it is located behind the radio to the right. not many have the external amp, if you have a amp it will be connected to the back of the radio with a DIN cable. to the amp socket of the radio.
which fuse is it blowing? #7 or #32
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks Mike -
Apparently I do have an external amp - I took the car to a car audio place and they said I have a separate external amp.
Without running out to check, I'm almost positive it was fuse 32 that was blowing.
I've checked and the radio unit is OK. Now I'm trying to rule out the amp.
At minimum I would like to unplug the amp, then plug the radio back in and see if the fuse still blows or not. If it doesn't blow, I would assume it is my amp that is the problem... If it blows, then there must be a problem somewhere else...
If I take the radio out and look in the empty cavity will I be able to 'unplug' the amp to test my theory...
It sounds like it is difficult to access and to remove I would need to take it to my mechanic to take the dashboard off... What do you think?
fuse 32 is just for the radio. the fuse #7 powers radio and amp. no difficult to access. you should be able to get to the amp with the radio out, worse case pull right under dash panel or pull carpet back and remove black plastic cover
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Mike,
Sorry for the delay... I went to look at the car...
It was actually fuse 7 that was blowing.
With the radio out, I followed the black cable that comes out of the back of the radio and is marked 'amp' and it just goes 'down', ie not to the left or right like some of the speaker wires. I can't really tell but it seems like the wire is going down into the centre console where the gear shift is but I'm really not sure...
I would really like to know where the amp is so I can umplug the power from it and see if the fuse is OK then... Any other helpful thoughts?
ok pull the carpet back on both sides of the console and the black plastic covers and you will see the amp right infront of the heater core below and behind the radio opening.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Mike,
FYI to let you know for the future, I found the amplifier under the passenger seat on this car...

Also, seems like there is a short in the system as the fuse blows when I replace it with a new one, even if the car is completely off.
Am planning to abandon the stereo and get an ipod with portable speakers...
<p>sorry about the location. volvo's diagram shows it in the center console, Did a heatercore last week on a 00 c70 and it was located in the center of the car below and behind, so AI thought volvo's info. was accurate. My dumb, no better to than trust volvo on everyhing. </p><p> </p><p>Go buy a aftermarket radio with a IPOD connection form sony, pioneer, jvc, etc. you will get a much better radio for the same or less for the radio. </p><p>let me know if I can help you in the future</p>
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks Mike,
As it turned out, I unplugged the amp and, even with the car turned off, the new fuse blows instantly, so I assume there's a short somewhere. I'm also assuming that this would be hard to find. So we plan to buy an MP3 player and portable speakers and plug them into the cigarette lighter... Thanks for your help!