Philip
Philip, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master ASE Certified, 10years dealership employed, Volvo factory trained,shop Forman

I have a 2001 Volvo V70 2.4T that I have had nothing but problems

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Volvo V70 2.4T that I have had nothing but problems with since the day I got it. At any rate, now, I am getting "Engine System Service Required". Cruise Control does not currently work and have read that this alarm may be due to ETM failure. In addition have been having "No Oil Pressure Stop Safely ASAP" upon braking.   I took this to the dealer and they recommended I have the oil pump and o-rings replaced, which I did. However, the lights came back on about 5 days after the complete replacement and $600 in repairs and diagnostics. Is this whole issue an Electronic Throttle Module or throttle failure problem?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Philip replied 4 years ago.
Well the problem is the Oil Pan seals are either torn or clogged with sludge. when they replaced the oil pump did they remove the oil pan and replace the seals and clean out the ports inside the engine?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes - these were replaced....
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Also, what about the Engine System Service Required issue?
Expert:  Philip replied 4 years ago.
well the engine system service required message is a fault code stored, did you check the codes? If you had the oil pan seals replaced, than you may be having bearing clearance issues from engine wear. You may need a new engine.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
As stated previously, the dealer service and my mechanic did run diagnostics and the fault code was not stored - they could not dx the problem. I will check with my mechanic to be sure that the oil pan seals were replaced in the morning.
Expert:  Philip replied 4 years ago.
make shure they were changed and get back to me.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The mechanic says everything was properly cleaned out. Cruise control does not work, No oil pressure light intermittent, cruise control won't work, Engine System Service Required light on, car has had the throttle software upgrade but not the throttle replaced. The volvo dealer stated something about a possible hissing brake booster?
Expert:  Philip replied 4 years ago.
I would be more concerned with the oil pressure light than anything else, so if all the components we talked about were changed than you are going to need an engine due to excessive bearing clearance causing low oil pressure.
Philip, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Master ASE Certified, 10years dealership employed, Volvo factory trained,shop Forman
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There was a break sensor problem causing multiple alarms. Dealer could not find anything wrong with the car other than that. I did not need a new engine.
Expert:  Philip replied 4 years ago.
You told me that your oil pressure light comes on, correct? So what does the brake sensor have to do with that? What are the brake diagnostic trouble codes? you never said anything about the brake message. The problem with the brake system is the brake pedal position sensor, this is a common problem with this model.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was unaware of a brake sensor problem but that is what the diagnostic picked up. When I took the car in, there was no software upgrade, and the error messages were Engine System Service Required and No Oil Pressure (intermittent). They did not find anything wrong with the way the mechanic installed the oil pump and pick up tubes and could not duplicate the errors. Same problem I have had with the last three mechanics...something is always found but it isnt the real problem.
Expert:  Philip replied 4 years ago.
have you ever brought it to a dealership?