Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Experience:  15+YEARS WITH VOLVO AS THE MASTER VOLVO MECHANIC&Ase
20168386

The Engine System Service Required light is on in the info

Customer Question

The "Engine System Service Required" light is on in the info display window on the left side of the instrument panel of a 1999 Volvo S80. If I hold the odometer reset button, it reads, "44" in the same window. I scanned the OBDII port and there are no trouble codes and no pending codes. The "check engine" light is not on. What does the "44" code mean?

Thanks!
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 5 years ago.
Hi, my name isXXXXX the light go out after 120 seconds?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Tim,

No, the light does not go out. You can make it turn off by pressing the button on the left stalk but if you press it again, it will say "you have 2 messages". Press again and it will say, "Engine System Service Required". The second message is about servicing the airbag system. Anyway, the message is always there waiting if you press the button to view it.

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 5 years ago.
Is this a european car or US?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
U.S.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 5 years ago.
And to verify, this is a 1999?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That's correct; it's a 1999 S80 with the 2.8L twin-charged 6 cyl.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry, I dont have any info on the system on the dash, there is nothing in my alldata about it.i will relist the question and see if another expert can answer.Tim
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, thanks for checking.
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for your question....

I would like to explain what is going on. It sounds as if you are trying to reset the service light?

Well I have had this same message come up when the button was held too long as well. Its basically not an error code, but a location code that WAS suppose to retrieve and display message 44....there is no message 44. So this is just a case where the actions of the person exceeded the program of the car.

If you cycle the key off, message 44 should go away. I have also seen message 23... I hope that this information is of value. Please if you find my answer was of value, please click accept under my name. If you have more questions please feel free to ask!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your response but I'm still a bit confused. The "Engine System Service Required" message is still lit in the window and the whole goal of this is to clear that message so it doesn't keep showing every time you start the car. I saw the same window display "44" and assumed it was a code explaining why the message is lit. Apparently "44" has nothing to do with why the message is lit so why is it coming on each time the car is turned on, even though there are no codes stored (for OBDII) and no "check engine" light? When the Volvo dealer's mechanic sees this message come on, he or she must have some way to determine why it is lit. I apologize if the wording of my original question wasn't clear enough. I hope I've been able to explain better.

Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.
If your display reads emissions system service required, that is the check engine light. If it says time for scheduled maintenance that is the service light. You can not pull codes using the reset button, only clear the service reminder light.
The procedure for resetting the service light is...key in position 2, be sure that you are in trip 1 (t1), shut car off.

Put key into position 1
push and hold the trip odometer reset button
while holding the button, rotate they key to position2
continue to hold down the button until the service light flashes
Release the button as soon as you see it flash.
turn key off, start car, and verify service light is out

If it is a check emissions (or check engine light) then I would suggest you need to use a code reader. They are available at the local parts suppliers, fairly cheaply as I recall. But this is not to say there are no codes....there might not be any Engine codes, but you might have a transmission or a brake module code causing that light to come on.

If it is a check engine light whose light is not posting codes that your code reader can pick up...I am afraid it might have to be a trip to the dealership in order to have it evaluated.

Sorry, I will be gone all day. There is a training burn in NH that I am heading out to. If you post another leg of this, I will not get it until later tonight. Good luck with your attempts.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It appears that you have not been reading what I have been writing. Your answer tells me that you did not pay attention to anything I've said. The message that is displayed is, "Engine System Service Required" and NOT Emissions System Service Required. The "Check Engine" light is NOT on. As I've already stated TWICE previously, there are NO DTC's stored or pending. I do NOT need to know how to reset the service indicator light; it is not lit. I do NOT need a code reader because I already own one.

I'm simply trying to figure out why the "Engine System Service Required" message is showing in the information window on the left side of the instrument panel and how to permanently clear it once the problem (if there is one) is fixed.

If you worked at a Volvo dealer and I brought my car in and said, "the Engine System Service Required message is showing in my information display, would you please see what the problem is, correct that problem, and make the light go out." Please describe the procedure you would follow in this scenario.

Expert:  Enes replied 5 years ago.

ok if you dont fault code that light is for check engine light now there is at times prolbem in computer to turn the light on so you have only that messege try this but you will need a scan tool to reset the light when check engine light comes or any fault code by scan tool unplug any sensor from engine the best is unplug the mass air flow sensor and let the car run let computer pick up the fault code erase the fault with a scan tool and now you light should be off ,when the key is on position 2 do you see light check engine light coming on for little time ?

also try this i know is not the light you having but you will send a signal to reset signal to ecu there is something frozen in ecu were is not telling right info or fault code

S80 Models
* Turn ignition switch to position 1
* Press and hold "day counter reset button"
* Turn ignition switch to position 2
* Continue holding day counter for approx. 10 seconds
* After SRL flashes, release day counter button
* Should hear "beep-beep" to confirm command accepted

Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Experience: 15+YEARS WITH VOLVO AS THE MASTER VOLVO MECHANIC&Ase