Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Experience:  15+YEARS WITH VOLVO AS THE MASTER VOLVO MECHANIC&Ase
20168386

My Volvo S40 is making a clunking noise from the front of the

Customer Question

My Volvo S40 is making a clunking noise from the front of the vehicle. What can this be?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Chris replied 7 years ago.
Is it a heavy clunk when hitting a bump, or around a corner?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is constant. Whether I am hitting bumps or driving on a smooth road. When I start driving at first, it does not make the sound but after about 5 minutes, it starts clunking.
Expert:  Chris replied 7 years ago.
Does it make more noise, the faster you go? what precipitates the noise? like turning the steering wheel, small bumps in the road etc.?? how do you reproduce this noise?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes. Once I get over 25 mph it starts the noise. When take my foot off the gas it stops. The more I accelerate the more noise it makes. Sometimes it will make noise and then I make a turn and the noise seems to cease. I have no idea what causes it to precipitate It does not make the noise when I turn (so I know it is not the CV joint) and it makes the noise whether to road is smooth or bumpy. The noise stops as I slow down and eventually come to a halt and resumes when I accelerate. Please help, this is my wife's car and she is driving me crazy. Embarassed
Expert:  Chris replied 7 years ago.
Well It could very well be CV joints. You must think about what is happening in the car while the noise is present. The noise is speed related. This means to me that the noise is speed related. What can cause a speed related noise in the front end? well the drive shafts are moving, as well as the engine or the transmission..... So we have 3 possible sources... and the CV shafts are the most common cause of the noise.

The shop you are going to, could verify this with a product called chassis ear. its a WONDERFUL noise finding tool, while driving down the road. They are not overly expensive, just needs a technician who wants to fix the noise to buy one.

I hope that this is of value, and as always if you have any questions about this topic please feel free to ask more.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Chris,

I had already brought a CV joint and will go ahead and replace tonight. I will let you know if it remedies the problem.

Expert:  Chris replied 7 years ago.
Sounds great, I look forward to hearing from you
Expert:  Enes replied 7 years ago.
i dont thing is the axle if you go over the bumps and dont turn and you rattle noise your problem is in stabilzer bar bracket that holds the bar to engine frame if you know were sway bar is pray on the bar remove the wheel and if it has play that is yuor problem if it rattles over bumps