Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Experience:  15+YEARS WITH VOLVO AS THE MASTER VOLVO MECHANIC&Ase
20168386

To convert from a Nivomat Shock suspension system on a 1991

To convert from a Nivomat Shock suspension system on a 1991 Volvo 940 SE, what shocks AND springs do I need SPECIFICALLY? Part numbers needed, I buy from http://www.autopartsway.ca/index.cfm. Not looking for www.ipdusa.com's conversion kit.
what i do i just remove nivomats and buy the original volvo shocks for that model without nivomat and that all to it you can keep old springs if not gone cary or pull hevy weight if yes than you will change the spring also dont buy anything aftermarket than original volvo due to volvo parts fit and less much longer is up to you volvo shocks are $90 each one sprigns are $140 from volvo each one
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes I'm aware this is what I'm supposed to do.. I'd be happy to take my chances with after market as this has to be done on the cheap (I could otherwise just replace the broken springs for 92$ and be done with it). My question remains however. Which one exactly? This is what I'm unable to figure out and it's driving me nuts! If you could take a look at the website I'm referring to http://www.autopartsway.ca/autoparts2/index.cfm?fetch=part~ID=1991~Volvo~740%20Normal%20Base~241545
and tell me which shocks and springs I can buy that will do.. that's all I'm looking for.
Also it looks like the original volvo shocks are for solid axle and mine is multilink.

if you like it more stif ride and hevay weight use this if you have multilink suspension you cant use this from here

Shock Absorber Heavy Duty
Brand: Bilstein
Part # W0133-1607738
Fits: Rear / Gas - Exc. Nivomat If vehicle is equipped with Nivomat self-leveling rear shocks, the rear springs must also be replaced when installing conventional rear shocks. Use spring #1273977 (11.3mm, sedan & coupe) or #1359710 (11.9mm, wagon). *Excluding Multi-link and/ or "Live Axle" suspensions.*
Product Weight: 3.00 lb
Minimum Order Quantity: 1
Leaves Warehouse: by 9:30 P Tomorrow

MSRP: $247.15 Your Price: $72.20

or for comofrt ride use this i preffer this

Shock Absorber Gas
Brand: Sachs
Part # W0133-1616021
Product Weight: 3.70 lb
Minimum Order Quantity: 1
Leaves Warehouse: by 9:30 P Tomorrow

MSRP: $128.15 Your Price: $73.66

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
excellent!
thank you i will close the question now
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I received springs #1273977 and shocks #W0133-1616021 as suggested. The springs have a small end, which is not the case on the originals and therefore will not fit. This cannot be the right springs, and is making me doubt the shocks suggestion, which states *Excluding Multi-link.

Please revise.

i happens allways when you order online parts i see it so many times they advertise but on the end it dont fit try to return it and get the money back best is if you like to go that way to change you susspension buy from volvo springs and shocks i changed them before on costumers car but used volvo parts.i dont have control what they send you i looked on the web page and i would order same thing if i need the parts what i told you but is the comany who sales them they dont list right parts or ship it .

i told first thing to use volvo parts return that and get volvo parts trust me you be more happy with that and it will work

or for best instruction the ipd is perfect to do it your self

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I understand your preference for the Volvo parts and I respect that. This is not what I was looking for however. I believe that after market will do just fine for the length of time I want to keep the car and money I want to put in.   The following is the suggested coil springs by yourself (via the shock suggestion): http://www.autopartsway.ca/AutoParts2/index.cfm?fetch=altPart~ID=1273977&partnumber=1273977 What I received looks exactly like the picture so I cannot blame them for sending something different. After looking at the car it just looks like it's the wrong set of springs.   I looked at what they suggest for the 940 Turbo T 2.3 L4 and this looks like what I need (both ends are large) but I'm not an expert. http://www.autopartsway.ca/AutoParts2/index.cfm?fetch=altPart~ID=W0133-1619179&partnumber=W0133-1619179 I received Sachs shocks Part # XXXXX Can you confirm this is what I need? And more importantly, can you tell me which springs I need to buy on that website?   I really have to order this tonight. I'm spending way to much time on this and this is why I was willing to pay for the answer.   I will confirm back to you when you reply just to make sure. Thanks Enes.
send me picture of the car under the susspension so i see what you have full picture of raear axle and susspesnion
is it wagon or sedan can you send picture from rear diferentail also from back side im trying to see something

im looking at volvo and here parts list the web page is all different what i have but anyway only spring that is different with biger ends is that one you said W0133-1619179 order that one but see here at volvo parts those springs are listed for non multilink axle with nivomat shock that is my best guess i cant give you better answer order that one and i thing it will be fine but dont make me the bad guy for the shocks again if you folow what they say you have to use different springs just try the one you told me .

read this the parts are so confusing here i get lost here

On models originally equipped with Nivomat self-leveling rear shocks, to install KG5565 replace the original coil spring with Volvo spring #1359710. Use the listed application strut cartridges on the front end. Gas - Exc. 1991 "SE" Sedan - Exc. Nivomat If vehicle is equipped with Nivomat self-leveling rear shocks, the rear springs must also be replaced when installing conventional rear shocks. Use spring #1273977 (11.3mm, sedan & coupe) or #1359710 (11.9mm, wagon). *Excluding Multi-link and/ or "Live Axle" suspensions

ok it looks like you need biger springs but again at volvo my volvo parts is different than on the web page ok i did thing and again i would order the W0133-1619179 ask them if those shocks will fit if not order what they say and you will return the springs anyway to them shocks indicate per online there are right but ask again them im sorry i was not able to help you more i did try i spend 45 min looking at the web page there

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok I'll order the W0133-1619179 springs then.

I'm aware it's taking you time now and thank you. It was confusing to me too and I spent so much time on this.. which is why I was willing to pay for this.
thank you i understand take care my friend .i hope all works out i will close the question due to time frame i have to close i have 35 questions open so i have to close it .you don't need to pay anything now thank you for paying me before and im sorry i was not able to give you the right info first time .im sorry and tank you sir.