Mike, volvo Tech
Mike, volvo Tech, Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs volvo technician, Ase A1-A8, L1, A/C certified

My 19993 940 automatic volvo wont shift into any gear after

Customer Question

My 19993 940 automatic volvo won't shift into any gear after starting sometimes. I have to turn the car off and on several times before I can get it to go into drive. I'm not sure if I should get it fixed or sell the car. Is the transmittion going out?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Mike, volvo Tech replied 5 years ago.
<p>let me get this clear, after starting the car and putting the shifter into drive the car wont move? or you cant get the shifter to move into drive?</p>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The shifter will not move into the "D" on the gear shift in between the seats. The "knob-button" that should give way to being pushed in will not push in at all, it locks up and can not be pushed in to the "drive" possition.
ok, it is most likley not in the transission. it is likely related to the shift lock. first check to make sure the brake lights are working, if not you will need to check the fuse for the brake lights.

do you hear a clicking in the shifter with the key on and stepping on the brake pedal?

wiggle the igntion key, try turning the key back towards you slightly. if wiggling the igntion key helps then the electrical part of the igntion switch needs to be replaced.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have moved the key thinking that would help it go into gear but that did not seem to help. I'm willing to try replacing the ignition key but if that doesn't solve the problem, is there something else it could be?
<p>it wouldnt be the key it would be the igntion switch. did you check to make sure the brake lights are working?</p><p> </p><p>there is a relay, brake light switch, solenoid in the shifter assembly.</p><p> </p><p>to fault trace you would need a test light or volt meter. you would need to remove the center console cover(black piece around shifter) then check for power to the solenoid while steping on the brake pedal.</p>
Mike, volvo Tech, Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs volvo technician, Ase A1-A8, L1, A/C certified
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, got it, I'll try it. Thank you so much for the help.
youer welcome. thanks for using just answers.