Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

how do you replace a fuel pump on a 2003 volvo s60 awd 2.4

how do you replace a fuel pump on a 2003 volvo s60 awd 2.4 turbo? do you have to drop the fuel tank or can you go through an access hole under the rear seats?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

You remove the seat. Here are instructions, make sure you print off or save to your computer right away otherwise pictures will time out and not be available. Let me know if you need anything and positive feedback is always appreciated. Thanks

Service and Repair
Notes

Level Sensor, Replacing

Special Tools:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />
NOTE: As the illustrations in this service information are used for different model years and/or models, some variation may occur. However, the essential information in the illustrations is always correct.

Preparation

Drain the tank. See Fuel tank, draining.

Applies to the S60:

Remove:

• the seat cushion.
  • the right-hand side cushion.

Applies to all models:
Disconnect the connector at the hinge.

Remove:

• the mounting screw for the hinge
  • the screw for the hinge end mounting.

Release the strap/straps of the folding mechanism for the seat belt buckle. (Hooked into place on the lower edge of the backrest).
Lift out the backrest.

Removing the cover for the level sensor/fuel pump (FP)

Push the carpet to one side.

Remove:

• the insulation panel
  • the cover (2).

Removing the fuel pump (FP)

Remove the cover. Use special tool(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Remove the screw (1).
Carefully turn the pump to access the fuel hose (1).

Remove:

• the hose (1)
  • the three connectors (2).

Carefully lift up the pump.

NOTE: Ensure that the level sensor arm is not obstructed. Do not bend the arm when removing the pump.

Removing the level sensor

Carefully press in both retaining clips.
Lift the level sensor approximately 5 mm . Lift up the float to the center position. Remove the level sensor.

Lift up the float arm to the center position. Remove the level sensor.

Installing the level sensor
Hold the float arm in the center position. Press the level sensor into position.

Installing the fuel pump (FP)
Lower the pump into the tank.

Install:

• the fuel hose
  • the three connectors.

Turn the pump to the installation position. Install the mounting bracket and screw. (M6)
Install the cover.
Use special tool(NNN) NNN-NNNN
For tightening torques, see Tightening torque.

Installing the cover for the level sensor/fuel pump (FP)

Install:

• the cover
  • the insulation panel.

Reinstall the carpet.

Finishing

Install:

• the backrest
  • the screw for the hinge mounting (M10)
  • the connector for the hinge
  • the end mounting for the seat belt.

Install the side cushion.
(V70) Fold the seat cushion forward.
(S80, S60) Install the seat cushion.

Dan, Technician
Experience: Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks for the help i just have a minor problem how do you feed the lines on the new pump assembly across to the fuel level sensor on the drivers side? i have tried but i cannot figure out which way they are supposed to go!!! thanks in advance Jim, weybridge Garage
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

This should help, Thanks

and Repair
Notes

Level Sensor, Fuel Tank, Right-Hand/Fuel Tank, Replacing

Removal

Draining the fuel system and fuel tank

Drain:

• the fuel system.
  • the fuel tank.

Removing the left-hand level sensor

Remove:

• the two connectors from the underneath of the left-hand level sensor
  • the left-hand level sensor from the ejector on which it is positioned.

NOTE: Secure a wire in the area of the ejector.

The wire must be sufficiently long that it reaches over to the opposite side of the tank with some excess remaining to ensure that it does not slide into the tank. The wire is needed to pull the hoses and wiring back to the left-hand side of the tank after the fuel tank unit has been replaced.

Removing the right-hand level sensor/pump

• Grip the right-hand level sensor and pump holder and pinch the float so that it is held in its lowest position.

NOTE: Take care with the fuel tank.

Carefully and slowly pull up the holder. Carefully work the holder out.
Pull the hoses out from the tank without pulling up the entire wire from the right-hand hole in the tank.

NOTE: It is extremely important that the float arm is not broken or bent.

Remove the wire from the old level sensor and pump ejector.

Removing the right-hand level sensor

Remove:

• the tie straps around the protective sheath, hoses and wiring
  • the net protective sheath by carefully threading it off the hoses and wiring
  • the tie strap under the protective sheath.

• the tie strap around the wiring above the pump
  • the level sensor by pressing in the two clips and pulling upwards
  • the thin pipe from the holder on the outside of the fuel tank unit
  • the wiring from the holder in the fuel tank unit.

Installation

Installing the right-hand level sensor

Install:

• the new level sensor
  • the wiring in the holder
  • the thin pipe in the holder on the outside of the fuel tank unit
  • the tie strap around the wiring above the pump.

• the tie strap under the protective sheath

NOTE: Secure the tie strap on the smooth central section of the corrugated hose.

• the protective sheath
  • four tie straps around the protective sheath, hoses and wiring. Secure the tie straps on the four smooth central sections of the corrugated hose.

Installing the right-hand level sensor and pump and the lefthand level sensor in the fuel tank

• Install the wire on the new ejector for the level sensor and pump
  • Insert the hoses and wiring into the tank via the right-hand tank hole
  • Grip the right-hand level sensor and pump holder and pinch it so that the float is held in its lowest position
  • Carefully and slowly lower the holder. Carefully work the holder into place
  • Pull the wire so that the hoses and wiring end up on the left side of the tank
  • Install the left-hand level sensor on the ejector
  • Install the switches on the underneath of the left-hand level sensor
  • Remove the wire from the ejector.

Finishing

• Install the sensor, backrest, side cushion and seat cushion.