Jim B
Jim B, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  40 years Import and domestic AAA Approved Shop owner 30 yrs

I have a 2004 Volvo XC90 T6. Recently the check engine light

I have a 2004 Volvo XC90 T6. Recently the check engine light came on and I read the codes with a scanner I bought. The codes read P2180 and P2178: system too rich off idle banks one and two, P2192 and P2194: system too rich @higher load, bank one and two, And P0103: Mass or volume air flow circuit high input. Recently the car has begun surging while cruising, but this is the first cel I have gotten. Does this sound like the Mass Airflow Sensor malfunctioning? What are your thoughts?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Jim B replied 7 years ago.

Hi q2auest,

Here is some information for you : Let me know if it helps.. It does require some technical skills, you scanner will also need to read data stream from the computer.

Check the air tube for the Turbo for ANY false air. A crack or loose hose will cause a problem. Thank you for your question. Jim

Vehicle Application:
2004 Volvo XC90 2.9L, Eng Cfg L6, Eng Des B6294T
Customer Concern:The MIL is on. Codes P2178, P2180 are stored.
Tests/Procedures:1. Check for any boost leaks post turbo. Especially look at the plastic tube above the motor. This tube has been known to crack along the seam and leak.

2. Check fuel pressure.

3. Check the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF) output. Expect to see 3-4.5 grams/second at idle, 9-15 at 2500 RPM, no load and a maximum output of 170+ at 5000 rpm, wide open throttle.
Potential Causes:Boost Leak
Fuel Pressure
Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor
Tech Tips:P2178 = ECM-261A Long-term fuel trim Lower limit P2180 = ECM-271A Long-term fuel trim, bank 2 Lower limit
Diagnostic Codes:ECM 261A, ECM 271A, P2178, P2180