Jim B
Jim B, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  40 years Import and domestic AAA Approved Shop owner 30 yrs

1994 Volvo 940: hose..diagram..the air intake and PCV systems

Customer Question

My son's 1994 Volvo 940, non-turbo will start but not run above 300RPM. He reports there is a broken hose that appears to be part of the air intake system. Is there a readable diagram of the air intake and PCV systems to assist in finding replacement parts?
Submitted: 5 years ago via ChiltonDIY.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Jim B replied 5 years ago.

graphic

HiCustomer This should help to identify for you. May be a dealer item only. Any false air into the intake will cause a driveability problem.

Jim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The broken hose is the heated intake air hose from the exhaust manifold. My next step will be to test the fuel pressure. There is also a small crack in the vacuum line that attaches to the device that is also connected to the fuel system.
Expert:  Jim B replied 5 years ago.

Replace obvious failed hoses. You did not mention any check engine light on? Then we need the codes. I would also try disconnecting the mass air flow sensor connector. They do fail intermittently.

How long and when did this happen,

Does it do it hot, cold,

Did it overheat or loss of oil ?

Just a note with your sympton the following systems will need to be checked.:

1 - engine compression

2 - fuel pressure

3- ign timing

4 - pull codes from computer

You may need a repair shop to quickly find the problem unless he has the tools and skills to go above the visual inspection.

Jim

Jim B, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 40 years Import and domestic AAA Approved Shop owner 30 yrs
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The problem appears to be a corroded power connector on the fuel pump, which is now a broken connection. I have a replacement connector for that. Another problem we have is with banjo fitting on the fuel filter outlet, which is frozen. Is the fuel line a push on connection to the banjo fitting? So that I can simply replace the banjo fitting.
Expert:  Jim B replied 5 years ago.
The line is plastic. We have a special tool set that we use to make that repair. Without the tool it is very difficult to make the repair. They are a 'pressed" fit. Check with a local auto parts store. They may be able to repair or let your borrow the kit. The line bends when trying to press in the new banjo fitting. We have to either make up a new line if it is short or splice in a new line. Good luck with your repair.. I will be available if you need further help. Jim
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It did look like more than a simple push on, I see the line is 2 layers, the outer rubber jacket pushes back and exposes a tight fitting tube that looks like heat shrink. I manage to loosen the fitting by cutting into the insert in the filter and using vice grips.
Thanks for the help
Expert:  Jim B replied 5 years ago.
Good, glad you got it on. If you were close to me I would loan you the tool. Let me know how things turned out. Jim