Mike, Technician
Experience:  34 years of self employed vehicle diagnostic & repair

2000 Volvo C70: you correctly diagnosed the problem (it was the maf)

I asked you a question last year and you correctly diagnosed the problem (it was the MAF). I have another one:

My 2000 Volvo C70 is not starting well. sometimes it starts perfectly, but sumetimes it turns a lot before is atarts. some times it starts, revs low for a few seconds and then cuts. after this it won't start immediatley but if I leave it for 10 mins it starts no problem.

The battery is OK

The spark plugs were replaced recently with the correct Bosch ones

and I had a mechanic think it was the injectors but when he checked them he said they were fine and had no other ideas.

Any ideas?
Hello again.... Its nice to hear from you again...and thank you for your request..

Reference your vehicle ..from what you have described this sounds like an Ect sensor problem... This is the engine coolant sensor - not the one the controls the gauge - but the one that sends signals to the cars Ecu.. main computer - re. the temperature of the engine.

The Ecu then sends commands to the fueling and ignition systems according. If the sensor is faulty and thus sends incorrect , or no info to the ecu as above, the fuel and air mixture will be incorrect and thus do as you describe resulting in poor running and no start situations...

If you remember the old auto and manual choke works like that , only electronically. If and when the choke was in the wrong position for the temp of the engine, the engine either wouldn't start or coughed and spluttered... exactly the same.

So, without the aid of plug in diagnostics at the moment and the results thereof - its well worth renewing that sensor. Its usually located on the inlet thermostat housing , inlet manifold or thereabouts depending on model and has a two wires pin connector going to it.

Always buy one from a dealer / genuine unit. If you are unsure as to its position - ask the parts dept; when you are in there, to show you on the screen where it is located or I can look it out for you..

Fit that and all should be well again ;)

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - Please ask me if you need more help...

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time and knowledge ...Thank you...

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Would you be able to give me the part number just so I get the right one from the local volvo dealer.
Hello again - Thank you for your reply..

Im afraid I couldn't be that specific.... however its easy enough from your end.. Just ensure you give the local dealer your vehicles reg number - and VIN, and they will give you the correct one for sure for your specific car that way... ;)

I hope that helps you further...

Best Rgds - MIKE.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Last night when I went to start the car the air temp was around 10C The car didn't start at first. I noticed on the dash it displayed the temp as 21C. It started after a few mins and as I drove the temp displayed on the dash gradually came down to 11C. Do you still think it's the the "engine coolant sensor" or could it be the "Ambient Air Temp Sensor ECT outside air sensor"?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My local volvo garage parts dept asked me to give them the part number or tell them where it's located in the car. can you help in this? (The local volvo dealer has a terrible reputation) They didn't seem to have any idea what I was talking about.