Mike, volvo Tech
Mike, volvo Tech, Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs volvo technician, Ase A1-A8, L1, A/C certified

What does the error code mean system too rich (Bank 1)

What does the error code mean "system too rich" (Bank 1)
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Mike, volvo Tech replied 7 years ago.
System too rich means the fuel injection computer has had to adjust the fuel mixture out of the normal range. this could be a fuel pressure problem, on a turbo car you could have a intake system leak under boost. most of the time your problem is the air mass meter.

I would replace the air mass meter, unless you can have someone diagnosis the problem.

replace the air mass meter using either a volvo part or bosch part, dont get a cheap aftermarket part. the cheap aftermarket part also applies to the oxygen sensor. while replacing the air mass meter you will want to pull the fuses in the under hood fuse box for the fuel injection system to reset adaptations.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do you think c foam will help by cleaning the fuel injector head.
<p>No i dont think so and I dont recommend additives like that and neither does volvo. you would have other issues if you had dirty injectors. the "system too rich" means there is to much fuel for the amount of air. you could try removing the fuses to reset adaptation and driving it, unless you did that after the oxygen sensor was replaced. usually the code you are geting is not related to oxygen sensor, and I have found most of the time caused by faulty air mass meter. \</p><p> </p><p>Air mass meters are common failures on volvo's. with the proper scan tool you could verify air mass operation, oxygen sensor operation, etc. </p>
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have not replaced the oxygen sensor. That is the main problem, i think. What is common air mass a volvo should run at?

the only spec volvo gives you is at idle with no a/c on, in park or neutral and you should be around 12-14 kg.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Other than the oxygen sensor what else could be the underlying problem? I just had the catylic converted fix.
if fuel pressure is ok, and no intake system leaks, most likely the air mass meter.

if this a turbo or non turbo car?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, the car is 2.4 engine. With a computer, how could I tell if fuel pressure is ok and there are no intake leaks?
there is a fitting on the end of the fuel injector rail for hooking up a fuelpressure gauge. 2.4 is a turbo, 2.5 is a non turbo.

most of the time that code shows up is due to air mass meter faults.